What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Sells Out Across the Board as Amazon Goes on the Attack

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_first_official_pic.JPG

Despite some pundits, critics, and even Apple fans saying it was a little too pricey, AppleInsider reports that the iPad mini has already completely sold out online ahead of the November 2 launch. Currently, if you try to order any iPad mini model online, you will be told that there is a two-week shipping delay. AppleInsider notes that the white and silver version sold out pretty much immediately, while the black and slate models took around 35 hours. All this despite Amazon’s best efforts to really push the advantages of the Kindle Fire HD over the iPad mini all weekend, with a big front page advert comparing the Kindle Fire HD to the iPad mini. Amazon even goes so far as to post a quote from Gizmodo on the front page ad, which references the lower pixel density of the iPad mini’s screen in comparison to the Kindle Fire HD, as well as pointing out that the Kindle Fire HD has dual stereo speakers while the iPad mini only has a mono speaker. The stark difference in price is also highlighted: the Kindle Fire HD costs just $199, whereas the iPad mini costs $329.

Source: Apple sells out of all iPad mini models as Amazon pans its price

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just goes to show that people are looking for an experience "in the round". Whatever the competition and the anti-Apple contingent within the media want to say, Apple offers what the competition can only dream of. The integration of iOS and OSX, the fact that iDevices work "out of the box", iCloud syncing between mobile and static devices and numerous other features are what keep bringing Apple customers back for more.

People may complain about the locked down OS, but minorities tend to be vocal. In general, customer loyalty is bought by carefully researching what the buying public want and supplying it to them. It's probably indicative of the state of the industry that Facebook have recognised that they need support from Apple, and vice versa, and now have their product built into iOS after initially dismissing the iPad as not being a worthy platform for Facebook.

Like it or not, computer use has shifted. Equipment is far more likely nowadays to be the basis for entertainment and communication systems than in those far off days of geeky people (like myself) playing around with the OS and getting into the workings of the machine.

Statistics are wonderful, but the only really important ones are the sales figures. If Apple can ship a lower quality product at a higher price, then it's clear that something else is at work. Customers are not totally stupid.

Microsoft appear to be going down the path of dismissing the iPad as a toy, in another article on the same page as Maura supplied. Didn't RIM try that a while back? Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
[Tongue in cheek] *cough* fan *cough* boi *cough* [/Tongue in check] Sorry, catch in my throat. :D

Your analysis is spot on and very well written. But Amazon does benefit from Apple's current pricing model in at least the short term, 3 to 6 months. I am still of the opinion that Apple should have shot for $279 for the iPad mini OR $329 with a $50 iTunes credit so you can buy 4 or 5 books to get you started. That would have really been the sweet spot that would put the Kindle in a different light than it is currently viewed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Amazon is outright lying on their page, though. They say iPad mini has "standard definition, low-resolution" display. It has an HD display just like the one on the Fire HD. Then they say "no HD movies or TV". What? What about iTunes, Netflix, Amazon's own instant video, and all the other content one can get on an iPad. They'd better watch out, Apple might decide to sue them for lying. :)

They don't even need to distort the truth. Plenty of folks with buy the $200 Kindle Fire HD. Apple made sure to leave them a piece of the pie.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can't we all just get along :(

Will someone think of the children oh dear mother of all WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN :eek:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Surface will be a flop. There are two version. RT which won't run standard Windows app and a full blown version that will. The market confusion will be beyond funny. I would not want to be a moderator on any Surface forum after people can't figure out why they can't install their software.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Amazon is outright lying on their page, though. They say iPad mini has "standard definition, low-resolution" display. It has an HD display just like the one on the Fire HD. Then they say "no HD movies or TV". What? What about iTunes, Netflix, Amazon's own instant video, and all the other content one can get on an iPad. They'd better watch out, Apple might decide to sue them for lying. :)

They don't even need to distort the truth. Plenty of folks with buy the $200 Kindle Fire HD. Apple made sure to leave them a piece of the pie.

I saw that also, and thought "What??" Um, iPads have iTunes for videos or streaming apps like Netflix or Hulu. And the display? I am confused? Maybe it is because they named it "retina" instead of "HD"? I don't get it.

I agree, no need to lie about it. Price is nicer, nobody would argue that fact.

Devynquinn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maura said:
Despite some pundits, critics, and even Apple fans saying it was a little too pricey, AppleInsider reports that the iPad mini has already completely sold out online ahead of the November 2 launch. Currently, if you try to order any iPad mini model online, you will be told that there is a two-week shipping delay. AppleInsider notes that the white and silver version sold out pretty much immediately, while the black and slate models took around 35 hours. All this despite AmazonÂ’s best efforts to really push the advantages of the Kindle Fire HD over the iPad mini all weekend, with a big front page advert comparing the Kindle Fire HD to the iPad mini. Amazon even goes so far as to post a quote from Gizmodo on the front page ad, which references the lower pixel density of the iPad miniÂ’s screen in comparison to the Kindle Fire HD, as well as pointing out that the Kindle Fire HD has dual stereo speakers while the iPad mini only has a mono speaker. The stark difference in price is also highlighted: the Kindle Fire HD costs just $199, whereas the iPad mini costs $329.

Source: Apple sells out of all iPad mini models as Amazon pans its price

I got mine: 64 gig, black, wifi only. Next is the iPad 4, 64 gig. Greed is good. Upgrading my second gen iPad.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Devynquinn said:
I got mine: 64 gig, black, wifi only. Next is the iPad 4, 64 gig. Greed is good. Upgrading my second gen iPad.

You got that right. Spending keeps the economy going. Thanks for doing your bit. I'll be getting my son an iPad mini, and myself a couple of Macs in reasonably short order so I'm keeping the end up in the North.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just wish the iPad mini was $299 instead of $329. That extra $29 bucks feels like a tack on or something. Not sure if ill get one or not. My youngest daughter is ready for an I device for Christmas. We were set on the newest gen iPod touch for her but the mini now makes an intriguing choice. Oh yeah, I'm sure second gen iPads will be cheaper too very soon. Decisions, decisions.

iPad2 32GB WiFi / iOS 6.0

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my mind, the Fire HDs, while very nice, are more special purpose than the iPad mini. That's really the reason I haven't already ordered one...I just prefer a more general purpose device. And while one can claim that iOS is a closed system, the 275000+ apps makes it feel as though I can do a lot more with a Mini than a Kindle. Of course, as an Amazon Prime member, I think it is just a matter of time before I break down a get a Kindle Fire HD. It will be another smallish tablet device. Or maybe I will get a second GN7, but with 32 GB. My goal is to have a tablet in every room of my home. BTW, I read that one can root a kindle fire and put JB on it!

Last edited:

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a Kindle Fire............for all of 1-week.
Talk about being tied to the manufacturer...........the Fire has an umbilical cord to Amazon.

Special purpose device is an understatement......no thanks, I'll stay far away from any Amazon tablet type product.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a Kindle Fire............for all of 1-week.
Talk about being tied to the manufacturer...........the Fire has an umbilical cord to Amazon.

Special purpose device is an understatement......no thanks, I'll stay far away from any Amazon tablet type product.

Android devices can be modified to run other ROMS and OS versions....this can be done with the Kindle Fire to make it a more general purpose device...hence, low price and good hardware can be harvested and put to new uses!

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Android devices can be modified to run other ROMS and OS versions....this can be done with the Kindle Fire to make it a more general purpose device...hence, low price and good hardware can be harvested and put to new uses!

Understood...........
But a lot of users don't want to mess with custom ROMS or "hacking" the system, let alone possibly voiding their warranty..........we want something that works out of the box.
I personally don't have the time or desire to mess with a device to make it do something it should to begin with.

Most reactions