What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Rumored for 2011

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason for the Mini would be to take over the eReader market. The current price points for the iPad are too high compared to other eReader only devices out there. Some people like the iPad but can't justify the extra expense when they will only use it for reading. A smaller iPad in the $300.00 to $400.00 range will have Amazon shaking in their boots.

KronicKaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason for the Mini would be to take over the eReader market. The current price points for the iPad are too high compared to other eReader only devices out there. Some people like the iPad but can't justify the extra expense when they will only use it for reading. A smaller iPad in the $300.00 to $400.00 range will have Amazon shaking in their boots.

The 16GB iPad 3G is only $140 more than the Kindle DX and it has a lot more to offer (imho).

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Apples and oranges. I have a kindle. It doesn't even compare to the ipad.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're not going to see any kind of iPad between the 9.7" screen and the phone/touch. Apple has decided on the iPad at its' current size - and that'll be it. They won't try to go to a smaller unit - it would defeat the strategy and water down the success of a single sized unit.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 16GB iPad 3G is only $140 more than the Kindle DX and it has a lot more to offer (imho).

That is 28% more. You are missing the point. I know that they iPad smokes the Kindle and can do 1000 things more than the Kindle can, but everyone doesn't want to do those things. If Apple can make another unit that is an eReader with a bunch of perks at a competitive price to what is out there now, then people who just want an eReader will go for it, now they won't.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting conversation. I was just saying to my husband this morning that it would be nice if they had a smaller iPad - somewhere in between the Touch and the iPad. I find the iPad heavy and hard to hold a lot of the time when playing games and lately when using a sketching app, and definitely when reading. I have no problem reading on my Touch, but I also have a Kindle which is the perfect size and weight for long periods of reading.

I love the iPad and have been having a lot of fun trying new apps, but it's killing my left hand from holding it for long periods of time. I sat here just a little while ago thinking of how I could make something, either knit or crocheted, to help me hold it!!! If I can put the iPad down long enough this week, I'm going to design something!! :)

Susan

we are also thinking to do something for that, even we already create something we are improving it :)

PS; i can’t wait to see you’re creation

Last edited:

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used to think that a screen say the size of a 13 inch Macbook would be great, but after using an iPod for just a week; putting the Macbook in my lap made it seem huge like a 17 inch laptop. So now I think the iPad has the ideal size. As you get smaller you are going to lose functionality. Bigger and you lose portability.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
me i think the Ipad unit is the perfect size for general all around use ..it just right for useing on the lap or a table ..for i really only use for less than a couple hours a day total when i do use it on a flat surface or on my lap or on the bed beside me ..so i not really holding it for long time frames .when i do use outside of those areas is rest on top part of the left arm and held againest my body by the action of the arm to use it like a oversized book unit to use it ..so i do not really notice the weight like that for i use it for short time frames to check books titles to see if i have them in the collection ..

but i do not use it as a e-book reader so iam not sure about that fuction of the unit in that typle left hand holding it to read from tablet set up on the unit ....

Oche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd love to see a whole range from iPod touch size to iMac size. Small is good, but so is big :)

Gary

Most reactions