1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

IPad Mini reading magazines

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by Kraig, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Kraig

Kraig iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello, my name is Kraig. I recently purchased a IPad Mini and have a hard time reading magazines do to small screen andprint and the inability to change font size. I have no problem with my wife's full size IPad, but it's too big. E books I can
    Read on my smart phone (tiny screen) because the font size and format adjust to the size of the screen. Am I missing a setting or am I stuck straining to read magazines. I just may return the mini and get the big IPad.
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Why can't you resize the fonts on the mini? The Kindle app does that. Also, I have several other magazines that I can read in my mini....Zinio's version of PC magazine all works fine. The new tech magazine works fine...as does Distro by the engadget people.
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,912 / 1
    Most (but not all) magazine apps use fixed page layouts. That means no resizing of the fonts.

However; most magazines also support 2X zooming. You tap, or double tap the page to zoom in/out. This works pretty well in magazines with double (or more) column layouts, and is usually usable in more scattered layouts.

Moving between landscape and portrait orientation gives a bit more flexibility.

Finally, there is always the built in Zoom feature in Settings > General > Accessibility. When turned you you can use some three fingered gestures to zoom in/out, adjust zoom level, and scroll around. They are described on the settings page for Zoom.

How well this translates to the iPad Mini, I don't know. I'm still using the iPad 3 and iPhone. And other than one of the very few magazines that does not use fixed layout, I don't do magazines on the iPhone.