What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini or Nexus 7

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its near impossible to find a wifi mini around my town right now, aside from the 64gb black model. The local best buy had a waiting list for the mini and said they can't garantee one by Christmas and actually recommended me to go on Apple.com and order one. The 16gb minis seem to be the most popular and near impossible to find as they're the best value Apple product right now.

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its near impossible to find a wifi mini around my town right now, aside from the 64gb black model. The local best buy had a waiting list for the mini and said they can't garantee one by Christmas and actually recommended me to go on Apple.com and order one. The 16gb minis seem to be the most popular and near impossible to find as they're the best value Apple product right now.

The iPad mini is the hot gift item right now. I think Apple does have the mini screens being Mfg. with the Retni but because of the needed supply will not be adding them to any new minis until long after Christmas. I am sure at sometime we will see them just as they came in the iPad4. Now if they will get a new faster processor all bets are off, as it and screen demand a much longer life battery. Just my guessing not any known facts.

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad mini is the hot gift item right now. I think Apple does have the mini screens being Mfg. with the Retni but because of the needed supply will not be adding them to any new minis until long after Christmas. I am sure at sometime we will see them just as they came in the iPad4. Now if they will get a new faster processor all bets are off, as it and screen demand a much longer life battery. Just my guessing not any known facts.

Yeah there's definitely going to be a retina display iPad mini. My guess would be November 2013 though considering how well the non retina mini is selling. Also it would have to have a better processor or performance will suffer from higher resolution.

Pat Darcy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.kidslumber.com
Get the iPad Mini if you want a device that is thin and light to be carried around with you. Get something else if you want flexibility in working with card readers or widgets.

While the Nexus 7 is a good machine it doesn't have the software and especially the book choices available from iTunes. There is just no comparison if you are a book lover.

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While the Nexus 7 is a good machine it doesn't have the software and especially the book choices available from iTunes. There is just no comparison if you are a book lover.

There's no comparison in any aspect.i bought a galaxy tab 2 before the ipad and hated it. I sold it on eBay and bought the mini

Tapatalk'd / iPad Mini

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have found that my Nexus devices won't hold a charge for a few days. If I leave one of them unattended and not on a charger for two days (as if I'm on travel) I return to find them dead as a doorknob. My original Kindle Fire, OTOH, seems to hold a charge forever. Of course, the iPad do well do in that regard, but they get used on an every day basis.

wpgmini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pat Darcy said:

How so? I use kindle, Kobo and google books. All of which are most certainly available on android.
I don't bother with iTunes for books because they are often more expensive.
The mini is great for books, but no better than the Nexus.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How so? I use kindle, Kobo and google books. All of which are most certainly available on android.
I don't bother with iTunes for books because they are often more expensive.
The mini is great for books, but no better than the Nexus.

Not only are the iBookstore books more expensive (well, I'm assuming this because I don't buy them), if you buy books via the iBookstore, those books have to be on iOS devices only. If you use Amazon, then you can get all your books on almost any platform. That is a huge reason NOT to buy books via iTunes, IMO.

wpgmini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Not only are the iBookstore books more expensive (well, I'm assuming this because I don't buy them), if you buy books via the iBookstore, those books have to be on iOS devices only. If you use Amazon, then you can get all your books on almost any platform. That is a huge reason NOT to buy books via iTunes, IMO.

Agreed.

I like iOS and android. Google books works with iOS but not the other way around.
I didn't want to make purchases that forced me to choose one device. I love my ipad mini, but I like knowing I can shift to my android phone and have access to my paid content.

ahowe070

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a 10.1 inch andriod tablet. It was terribly hard for me to figure out. I felt like my grandparents, and I'm only 25. I ended up selling it on ebay to fund my new ipad mini. I also realized that my school's learning website (it's a cheap knock off version of blackboard) has an app ONLY available from itunes! Any app on the google market will have a counter part on itunes (or atleast the ones people REALLY need) but there are some that are on the itunes and not on the google market. I was also worried about the ease of use on the google tablet. I know with an ipad that I will be able to open the box and use it right away. To me that is a risk to take by paying $100 extra dollars.

OP
marcandsebe

marcandsebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a 10.1 inch andriod tablet. It was terribly hard for me to figure out. I felt like my grandparents, and I'm only 25. I ended up selling it on ebay to fund my new ipad mini. I also realized that my school's learning website (it's a cheap knock off version of blackboard) has an app ONLY available from itunes! Any app on the google market will have a counter part on itunes (or atleast the ones people REALLY need) but there are some that are on the itunes and not on the google market. I was also worried about the ease of use on the google tablet. I know with an ipad that I will be able to open the box and use it right away. To me that is a risk to take by paying $100 extra dollars.

I can't figure out how to use any Android product. Why make it so unintuitive to use. I have the iPad mini and it works flawlessly. I ended up buying a iPad mini for my wife and she loves using it. It's so simple to use for her. She definitely would not want something too technical.

86ana86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My hubby bought me a ipad mini to "upgrade" from my nexus 7 and i hate it... It keeps crashing on all the apps, and on safari or fb it doesn.t even restore from where i left off and i must start all over... It.s very stressful... My nexus never had any problems... It.s an useless investment on my opinion... Why create a tablet that crashes every 20 seconds?! I have it for a few days now and i totally hate it ... Buying a new product more expensive that is useless sucks... Shame on the developers and creators of this!

Flashfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My phones are Android (HTC ONE, Nexus 4, etc., since the G1) and I have both a 32GB Nexus 7 tablet and a 64GB iPad Mini. I also had the ASUS TF-300T and other Android tablets. OK, this being said, I love the iPad Mini for ease of use and stability. However, I sorely miss the customization level of Android based tablets. Essentially, Android tablets can be as easy if not easier to use than Apple devices IF you take the time to customize to your liking. That's the key... Android users love the freedom they have to change the look-and-feel of the screens, how they interact with their device, etc. "Nerdier people" (like me), enjoy the ability of rooting and loading different flavors of the operating system (Cyanogen Mod, etc.), with the expected instabilities :)

My wife is NOT a techie so getting her to switch from a NOOK to the Nexus 7 was a challenge until I customized her screens to what she wanted. I saw a smile and she has been using it since. So to summarize, yes, the Android experience is not as "standard" as the Apple experience (some say Apple is repetitive & boring LOL), but for a majority of users, it seems like the openness of the Android platform along with the variety of products are pulling more and more Apple people into that ecosphere. On my side, it was the willingness to use an Apple product so I can stalk about it through experience and not just shoot out echos from others :)

Last edited:

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep thinking I'm going to figure out how an Android tablet works, and I always end up selling them (usually at a loss). I've had a Galaxy Tab and a Nexus 7. The battery connection on the N7 kept coming loose and I had to remove the back and put it back together. I normally wouldn't do that, but their customer service process was so complicated that I just went ahead and tried it. Every time I jiggled it the wrong way, the battery connection fell out. I keep going back to Apple, and have decided that I just need to stick with them. In fact, the only non-Apple device I have now is my work-issued phone; an HTC Evo. Wait, I also have a Kindle Fire HD. I find that its the best device for air travel, mainly because of the Droid TV app.

Most reactions