iPad mini locking issue

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by CandaceGosson, May 4, 2013.

1. CandaceGosson

CandaceGosson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, first post on the forum. I've had my mini for 2 weeks now. I'm having an issue with the lock screen. When I close my leather case cover (which has a magnet in it), it will lock the screen like it's supposed to do but when I open the case cover, it unlocks automatically. Up until yesterday, when I would open the case cover, the first screen I would see was my lock screen with the slide bar saying "slide to unlock". My 4 year old son got his hands on it for 2 mins and now I can't seem to get it back to the way it was. I think I've tried all of the options in the settings menu a dozen times and I spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support. Their solution: send it back. We'll give you a new one. They figure it's a software issue. I really don't want to go without my mini for "10-15 business days". Hoping someone out there knows something that the tech guys don't. Thanks!
  2. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +884 / 0
    Hi Candace..... - welcome to the forum! :)

Not sure that I can really help, but (if not already done), please go to step 3 in the quote below - RESET the iPad and let us know if this helps - good luck!

3. CandaceGosson

CandaceGosson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, but did that twice already. Any other ideas?
  4. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    What exactly is happening? If you can describe what you feel is different we might be able to help.
  5. dithnya

dithnya iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Helloo ,,,, any news about jailbreak ios 6.1.3 Ipad Mini ... ??

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  6. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    Please do not hijack threads. In this case there is not much point in starting a new thread, because the answer is simple: there will never be a jailbreak for 6.1.3.

We try to tackle one issue per thread. I a search does not turn up the information you require, please feel free to start one.
  7. Elizellen

Elizellen iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Have you checked that your son didn't change your "Ipad Cover Lock/Unlock" switch in the "General Settings" section?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. CandaceGosson

CandaceGosson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll try to describe the issue again. I have my mini in a leather case that has a magnet in the cover. When the cover is closed, the magnet will lock the mini with a click sound. Before when I would open it, the screen that I would see was my lock screen. I would then have to slide the unlock switch at the bottom of the screen in order to get to my home screen to view my apps. That was BEFORE my son got ahold of it. Now when I open the cover it goes straight to my home screen with my apps (or whatever page I was looking at before I closed the cover). I no longer see my lock screen when I open the cover. The cover is unlocking the screen as I open it instead of allowing me to slide to unlock. How do I get my lock screen to appear when I open the cover INSTEAD of my home screen? And yes, The first thing I checked was the locking options in the settings menu. Nothing seems to work.
  9. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,841 / 0
    I really think that it is a software issue, as the tech guys seem to think. When you have the switch, in your Settings app, set to ON, then your Mini should start up when you open the cover. If it is set to off, then you should get the lock screen. As this is not happening, I'm afraid you're going to have to send it back as it is not functioning properly (and there is not other area to set).

So, if you played with the switch (and reset/restarted in between, or at all) and it's still not working - I'm afraid there is nothing more that can be done here. Sorry.

Marilyn
  10. teralpar

teralpar iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have an lock/unlock case on my iPad Mini as well. When I close the case I hear the "click" as you mentioned, and when I open the case it goes straight to the home screen, or to whatever screen or app I was using before I closed the case. It has done that since I've had the case...mine has never gone to the lock screen when I opened it. Personally, I would rather that it wake up to the home screen instead of the lock screen because then I wouldn't have to take the extra step to slide to unlock...but that's just me... :)

Sent from my Black iPad Mini 16GB using iPF
  11. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Since you seem to have run out of options, I'd suggest trying a full factory restore after you've backed up everything. You'd have to back up anyway if you were to send your iPad back to Apple, so you might as well see whether a full factory restore might help you avoid that. It's a long shot, but not much effort to try.
  12. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    That's a preference, of course.

Without the slider (or a pass code lock), anyone could pick up your iPad and start using it. The OP has a child and probably wants to limit access.
  13. teralpar

teralpar iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Oh I see now...that makes perfect sense.

Sent from my Black iPad Mini 16GB using iPF
  14. Ernie_C

Ernie_C iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you tried completely powering down the iPad by holding down the Home button at the same time as the on/off switch, and then powering on again?

...or stopping all the active applications, by double pressing Home, holding down one of the icons at the bottom of the screen until they wiggle, then stopping all of the active applications by clicking their X?
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  15. CandaceGosson

CandaceGosson iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all of the replies. I did try a factory reset when I had the tech guy on the phone - didn't work. And yes, I'm trying to recover my lock screen to limit the access (a little) for my son. I can still use the passcode if I want but I'm in and out of my mini so often that it becomes tiring. This is starting to become more hassle than it's worth. I figured that since I'm new to the mini, that I was just over looking something simple. Guess it really must be a software issue. :( if there's anyone out there who's had this issue before, I'd love to hear from you! Thanks.
  16. sngmnl

sngmnl iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey! I don't think that's not a issue. The explanation is simple. I got my mini recently and I have never used an Ipad before but one day it happened to me what you said. But I've realized that is because sometimes although the sound the cover doesn't lock the ipad and as the default settings it locks automatically after 2 minutes. I know this because once closed the cover I looked inside whether the light was on or off and yes... after checking it was on so the cover it didn't lock it. Besides when you read what is written on ipad cover lock option it says: automatically lock and UNLOCK your ipad ...
    So my advice would be don't try anything else to fix it! But it's just an advice. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2