What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini is Attracting New Tablet Customers for Apple

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
iPad_mini_cannibal.JPG

AppleInsider has very encouraging news today for Apple in the shape of a new survey of iPad buyers from Morgan Stanley and AlphaWise, which finds that contrary to some expectations, almost half of iPad mini buyers surveyed were new customers, which greatly allays the fear that the iPad mini might seriously cannibalise sales of Apple’s regular-sized iPad. Morgan Stanley and AlphaWise polled over 1,000 US consumers, and found that the iPad mini is responsible for 34% of planned iPad purchases, with 47% of potential customers that are new to the platform choosing the iPad mini, and 56% of potential customers that are new to the platform choosing the 9.7-inch iPad, so the full-size iPad comes out slightly ahead of the smaller tablet. Analyst Katy Huberty said that while the iPad mini is cannibalizing some full-sized iPad sales, any worries that this could be a problem for Apple are “overblown.†She also describes the risk for Apple as “manageable.†[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] 47% of iPad mini sales to new customers, cannibalization concerns called 'overblown'

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice! When I bought my mini I was looking at the full-size iPads but probably wouldn't have purchased one yet - probably would have purchased a Mac mini. But I'm glad I bought the mini, it's the best purchase I've made in a few years.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was the point of releasing a smaller, cheaper iPad -- to widen Apple's market base -- so those are the results I would've expected.

brownie43

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I could the ipad mini for Christmas . I'm being told you can't get them.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I could the ipad mini for Christmas . I'm being told you can't get them.

I got mine earlier this month at a Target store. You can also get them at Best Buy and at Apple stores. People can be mis-informed, so I recommend going shopping.

brownie43

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for you help. But, I've been to every retail store including apple and they told me they are not available.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for you help. But, I've been to every retail store including apple and they told me they are not available.

Yeah, they weren't available online at Apple or at Best Buy, but I found several at a physical Target store, even though the online Target store said they were sold out. Is there a larger city near you? Might be worth the drive.

brownie43

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ardchoille said:
Yeah, they weren't available online at Apple or at Best Buy, but I found several at a physical Target store, even though the online Target store said they were sold out. Is there a larger city near you? Might be worth the drive.

I called every Target within 150 miles .... no 16g wi fi anywhere. I think I am really going to need Santa's help for this one. It just doesn't look good!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called every Target within 150 miles .... no 16g wi fi anywhere. I think I am really going to need Santa's help for this one. It just doesn't look good!

I'd suggest trying smaller retailers like Radio Shack, Game Stop, etc. I checked near me and Radio Shack has them at two stores. They have on online stock check -- you just enter your Zip code.

brownie43

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I'd suggest trying smaller retailers like Radio Shack, Game Stop, etc. I checked near me and Radio Shack has them at two stores. They have on online stock check -- you just enter your Zip code.

Thanks! I called my local radio shack and they said there are non on the east coast. Do you have the number to your radio shack?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I called my local radio shack and they said there are non on the east coast. Do you have the number to your radio shack?

Looks like it's too late. I just checked again and they're now sold out near me. I don't think it'd matter anyway; they don't ship items from individual stores. That's what the online store is for. If there were retail stores near you with ones left, you'd have to go in person.

brownie43

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Looks like it's too late. I just checked again and they're now sold out near me. I don't think it'd matter anyway; they don't ship items from individual stores. That's what the online store is for. If there were retail stores near you with ones left, you'd have to go in person.

Ok, thanks for your help. I appreciate your time.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even if some sales end up being for the mini versus the regular iPad, the money all ends up the in same bucket so I don't see how this matters? If they are worried about anything it should be the competition from google and amazon. That's where you might lose sales.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's why I just order online instead of running from store to store looking for the product I want. I order my new iPad online w o looking at it - I can wait a few days with free shipping and now annoying crowds lol. OR, you can order online and pick up from your nearest Apple store, I think Best Buy does this as well. That way you know the product is available and they will be holding it for you. Just don't get there too early to pick up as it won't be ready. I did this once and still wound up getting a sales person to help me get it from the back. But good thing I did order ahead of time as I think I bought the last one lol.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts