What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Mini Flexing Problems

rhehn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new IPad mini and was wondering if there was any way to turn down the touch sensitivity or disable it around the edges? What I'm noticing is that when you're holding it in your hand, browsing Safari or reading Flipboard, it interprets the light pressure of your fingers on the edge as a command to abort or go back and you lose what you're doing. It's very irritating. The only safe way to use it is to lay it on the desk and not touch it. Is it only MY Ipad or has everybody else got the same problem? My Ipad One wasn't as bad, though it did it occasionally. Should I take it back to the Apple Store for replacement or is it fixable?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a new IPad mini and was wondering if there was any way to turn down the touch sensitivity or disable it around the edges? What I'm noticing is that when you're holding it in your hand, browsing Safari or reading Flipboard, it interprets the light pressure of your fingers on the edge as a command to abort or go back and you lose what you're doing. It's very irritating. The only safe way to use it is to lay it on the desk and not touch it. Is it only MY Ipad or has everybody else got the same problem? My Ipad One wasn't as bad, though it did it occasionally. Should I take it back to the Apple Store for replacement or is it fixable?

There's nothing wrong with your iPad. You'll just have to hold in such a way that your fingers don't come in contact with the screen. In answer to your first question, there's no way to adjust the sensitivity of the touchscreen.

Have you thought of getting a case for your iPad, it may make it easier to hold without interfering with the touchscreen.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, adding a case should do the trick - or you could always buy one of those weird looking sucker handle things
20130103_0.39.jpg istand.jpg

They're really made for using with iphones, but do work for a mini ipad. I used it for a few days till I got my case, it felt (and I bet it looked) a bit odd but did the trick

BTW I bought mine from china on ebay a year or so ago for 39p including shipping!

Last edited:
OP
R

rhehn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with your iPad. You'll just have to hold in such a way that your fingers don't come in contact with the screen. In answer to your first question, there's no way to adjust the sensitivity of the touchscreen.

Have you thought of getting a case for your iPad, it may make it easier to hold without interfering with the touchscreen.

The thing is, I'm not touching the screen. I'm just holding it lightly on the sides. My hands are small so there's no way they can reach the screen., especially with the added width of Apple's plastic case and magnetic cover attached.

So that's why I think it's too sensitive. I doubt if I have more than an ounce of pressure applied to the sides to stop the mini from falling and it's interpreting that to say that I'm swiping. Apple should be able to fix it if they tell the OS to ignore anything on the first 1/8 " of the screen, which never gets used anyway.

OP
R

rhehn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, adding a case should do the trick - or you could always buy one of those weird looking sucker handle things
View attachment 44584 View attachment 44585

They're really made for using with iphones, but do work for a mini ipad. I used it for a few days till I got my case, it felt (and I bet it looked) a bit odd but did the trick

BTW I bought mine from china on ebay a year or so ago for 39p including shipping!

I have Apple's plastic case and magnetic cover, which cost me about $100. Maybe I should take the case off and see if it makes any difference.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The thing is, I'm not touching the screen. I'm just holding it lightly on the sides. My hands are small so there's no way they can reach the screen., especially with the added width of Apple's plastic case and magnetic cover attached.

So that's why I think it's too sensitive. I doubt if I have more than an ounce of pressure applied to the sides to stop the mini from falling and it's interpreting that to say that I'm swiping. Apple should be able to fix it if they tell the OS to ignore anything on the first 1/8 " of the screen, which never gets used anyway.

If what you are saying is true than I think something may be wrong with your unit. I use mine everyday and have zero issues and so do zillions of others. We rarely, if ever, hear of this problem here. I suggest you take yours to an apple store and let the folks there look at it for the problem.

I do keep mine in a case but that is mainly for scratch protection of the case in case I want to sell this one to upgrade to the new model in the fall.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By the way, your thread title suggest you have some flexing problems. Is that so?

OP
R

rhehn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I meant was that putting light pressure on the edges while holding it (without touching the screen) seemed to transfer that pressure to the screen and was being interpreted as a touch or swipe. Maybe flexing was the wrong choice of words but I couldn't think of anything better.

Maybe the problem is just Flipboard but it's happened in Safari a few times too.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you get a case like this one

iPad-mini-360-Rotating-Leather-Stand-Cover-Case-Black-d.jpg

you can easily keep your fingers gripping the case edge without touching the screen

I bought this snazzy red one for less than £8.00 on ebay

20121212_7.85.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad Mini is supposed to have edge detection software that prevents the kind of problem you are describing. If the usual fixes (listed below) don't solve the problem, I'd take it into an Apple Store (if you have one nearby) and demonstrate the issue. If they can't fix it, there is a good chance they will swap out your iPad for another (hopefully) problem free unit.

Be sure to make a appointment. Apple Stores can be busy.

You can also work through their online support, but the Store is by far the more satisfying experience.

----------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

Most reactions