iPad Mini Doesn’t Cut It For Images

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by lecycliste, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Talk2USoon

Talk2USoon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Much better to look at? or operate? I had no qualms with the view, just with using the browser.
  2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    The screen is better to look at -- better than my iPad 1 and 2 for sure. I don't really browse on it, because I prefer a bigger screen at home, where I do most of my browsing, and use iPads for that. I've not had trouble operating it or the original when it comes to apps, carousel and such. I like 7" screens for books, and for streaming movies when I'm surfing on iPad. I rigged my Levo stand so it holds an iPad and Kindle Fire at the same time, so I can watch a movie and surf at the same time, hands free.
  3. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    I'm a photographer, it works well for me.
  4. lecycliste

lecycliste iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Power drain is in part a function of pixel and screen size. A smaller screen has smaller pixels, and therefore presents less capacitance for display drivers. That translates into less power needed to drive the screen.

So an iPad Mini with a 7.9" retina screen would require a smaller battery than an iPad 4 with its 9.7" screen. The power decrease would be less by roughly the ratio of the screen areas for the same resolution and screen technology.

Using a screen technology like IGZO lowers the power even further.

Similarly, semiconductor processes with narrower linewidths present lower transistor gate capacitances and require less power to operate. Usually, silicon foundries are able to maintain (or even increase) the k' or gain of individual transistors as they shrink processes. As we go smaller into the submicron linewidths, maintaining k' will get tougher. But until then, we'll still get lower-power processes from process shrinks.

So CPU and graphics processors designed for lower power consumption in shrunk processes, along with lower-power display technologies like IGZO (Indium-Gallium-Zinc Oxide), will get Apple to an iPad Mini with retina display. That new iPad Mini should also have acceptable battery life and pricing.

From screen-ordering rumors and my own educated guessing, I'd say we'll get a retina-screened iPad Mini sometime this spring.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. thormcse

thormcse iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just talked to Steve jobs ghost and it turns out apple does want to make a profit. He said that Intel, Microsoft, and google are for profit as well. Who knew.

Tongue in cheek. I love my iPad mini LTE and I will love my mini with retina even more but only because I will be able to see it outside when it's sunny.
  6. wrathchild

wrathchild iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the ipad mini screen. I'm so sick of all the Edited by Moderator - please refrain from using disrespectful language here, thank you. out there crying about "no retina display" The ipad mini has a excellent display, it's color saturation and brightness is by far more superior than any other 7" tablet even though it has a lower resolution. I can bet you money if Apple had never came out with a retina screen no one would be crying about it. Get over it already.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2013
  7. thormcse

thormcse iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A little testy are we?
    I love my mini as I said, but, I cannot use it much outside. Maybe it's me, I don't have great vision, but I know I can see a retina display pretty good in the sunlight. If you see the current mini in the sunlight, good for your blessed vision.
    (This is where I might put a disrespectful comment but I will refrain)
  8. lecycliste

lecycliste iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi-res screen critical in visual applications

If you're only doing casual applications and reading/media consumption, then a non-retina screen works fine.

For critical image evaluation, I need more resolution than a non-retina screen would give, together with accurate color calibration (available through an app from DataColor) and wide contrast range / large bit depth per pixel.

So I'm waiting for release of the iPad Mini 2, or whatever Apple will call the Retina screen version of the iPad Mini.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  9. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 1
    To the OP-

I am a photographer and would never dream of lugging either my mini or my iPad3 while working. Why on earth would I do that? So the weight of either would never be in addition to my equipment which is very heavy. When it is time for show and tell, one of my Macs comes out.

That was easy.
  10. lecycliste

lecycliste iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I'm carrying a 500mm f/4L IS and other gear for a wildlife shoot, I want everything else to be as light and small as possible. The same goes for a product shoot with shorter lenses and speedlight-based lighting.

I want the capability to review images on a next-generation iPad Mini, as well as the capability to give clients a first look at their images on the device.

I usually use an older MacBook Pro 15" for this and off-loading memory cards on location, but would like the possibility of using an iPad Mini, iUSBPort ad hoc WiFi adapter, and other pieces I already have for a much more portable solution. Yes, there would be more pieces to buy and keep track of, but the whole approach takes up less space and weighs less.

Add to that better resolution for preliminary go-no go editing in a hotel room, and it's a winner for image applications alone.

Do I need all this stuff? No, I could still use the old, heavy MacBook Pro and 500GB USB drive to do it. But since I'm likely to pick up the next-generation iPad Mini for location note-taking and other uses anyway, it makes sense to get one *capable* of doing image applications, especially for this photographer who's starting to need reading glasses.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  11. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    I hate to be the Grinch as well as a disagreeable old sot, but I disagree. Do not take what I say as a personal insult; I am in my Rage Against the (pro photographer) Machine phase. I have found the iPad 1 to be just fine for images and I spent many moons in a custom lab and shooting professionally, so I absolutely understand the art, craft and science that is photography. Not sure any iPad will let you evaluate the rocks and trees in a meaningful way. Hell's Bells, I do not need to focus in many cases, and i can tell you specifically and precisely which areas will be a sharp as the film/processing/lens/equipment will allow. But that is for the Amazing Bobbo Photo Thread.

I know my equipment and I know for a fact if I need the rocks and trees to be sharp, they will be, indeed, sharp.

I knew with out any question how my images would look before I processed and printed them. Old school 8X10/11X14 and much larger film and only needed two shots at the most. Sorry, but I must chortle when I listen to some "professionals" justify their reasons for wasting time.

NOT YOU - TAKE NO OFFENSE!

Every photographer demands something they will never get from the systems they setup and use. I just think there are too many inexperienced photographers out there that have few real skills and they worry about things that a through grounding in the art and science would immediately stop the brain bleeds they often suffer because they just do not understand.

NOT SAYING YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE.

Just a general observation about most photographers--working pro or advanced amateur--that my skill, knowledge and abilities let me say with impunity, the Mini is likely fine if you want a smaller device; the iPad is just fine if you are as blind as Bob.

Again, sorry for the apparent insult. No insult was intended.
  12. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +439 / 0
    The wifi only 16 gb iPad mini wifi is $329.00, iPad 2 is $399.00. The 2 may possibly have more battery (I don't know), the mini has updated camera and lightning port. The screen on each has the same number of pixels so the battery - to produce the same life, would need to be about the same (about due to non-video issues). I don't know if the mini is using the smaller process A5 and the 2 using the previous generation or original generation A5, but if this is the case there is less power consumed performing the same functions with the newer chip (at 45 nm for the original and 32 nm the next version and now the newest is at 28 nm). Clearly there isn't a $70.00 premium for components or construction between the two...
  13. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +439 / 0
    Newer more efficient chipsets, better backlighting control and better and integrated comm chipsets with an updated antenna design all will help the new mini reduce power requirements letting Apple use a smaller battery than if they put a Retina on the first generation mini.
  14. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +439 / 0
    The mini has a physically larger screen so if you only look at pixel density you miss the picture. The Kindle Fire is 1280x800 while the iPad Mini is 1024x768 for a 24% less pixel screen not the 37% pixel density would lead one to believe.
    The iPad Mini is 3mm thinner and 87 grams lighter - both very noticeable while using.
    The Kindle Fire does not come in a 64gb size but does have 1gb memory compared to iPad Mini's 512kb
    The A5 chipset supporting the cortex-A9 in the Mini is a much more modern chipset than the Fire's and it runs at a faster speed
    The cameras don't even belong in the same planet, with the Mini having two (a 720p 1.2 MP front facing and a 5 MP main) to compare with the 1.3 MP 720p main (only) camera on the Fire.
    The Mini has available cellular (4G-LTE) while the Fire only has wifi

The Fire does have a couple of ports that the Mini doesn't, a micro USB (can't say that is an advantage over Lightning) and a HDMI where the Mini requires a $29.00 adapter.

Edit: sorry, the purpose wasn't just to throw specs around, but to show that the Mini is clearly a superior product. I can buy a Yaris for less than $20,000.00 but it doesn't have the performance or quality that a Corvette or Ferrari have. These two don't have $80,000.00 to $150,000.00 more in parts inside them, and the cost doesn't just pay for the material and construction, but the time and resources to design something you will feel real passion for both owning AND using.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  15. Magnetic1

Magnetic1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The ipad 2 has ios 30 pin dock connection and the ipad mini has the 8 pin dock connection. Basically depending on your need for accessories, your decision could be already made. As for the yaris vs the ferrari, yaris has the far superior carbon emission performance. It depends on what you're using it for. The ipad mini 2 with presumably new retina display may not have the same weight and battery performance as the original ipad mini.

Anyway, today I took some pictures outside in the sun and I could not see through the display to properly frame the pictures that I wanted. Granted I had screen protectors on, shooting pictures in the sun is not well supported by ipad mini. But the pictures luckily turned out awesome. Even the framing came out just right, luckily. I don't know, maybe there was a gyro in the ipad mini that help steady my hands while I was shooting the pictures and properly framed the photos without me knowing it, who knows... Apple does these things.
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  16. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +439 / 0
    Yeah, all Apple devices are VERY hard to see in the sunshine. I agree the Yaris does have a much better carbon footprint, but the Ferrari may have a better emissions to Work ratio (lb/HP-hr or g/kW-hr). Good point of discussion somewhere.