What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini + Dension

iYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a iPad Mini 2 Retina 4G that is always left connected to my car through Dension Gateway 500 via 9 pin din to apple 30 pin dock connector with a original Apple 30 pin to lightning convertor adapter in-between.

The problem I’m having is keeping the iPad fully charged whilst driving and streaming music via Apple music and using TomTom Go navigation app all at the same time. Is there a way I can increase the power output by adding something in-between or modifying the cable without losing the Dension car control features?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Increasing the power output of the charging port in your car will not make the iPad charge any faster. The iPad will only draw so much power while on the charger. This is to prevent possible overheating of the battery or worse, having the battery explode. If your use of the iPad uses more power than the charging circuitry can handle, the iPad will either charge very slowly or actually lose charge while being used.

OP
I

iYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The charging current comes from the iPod interface box which was made pre iPad days and only outputs upto 0.5 am of charging current. I've managed to get hold of an adapter they've discontinued few years back that increases the output from 0.5 amps to 1amp. I'm not sure if that's enough for the iPad to optimally charge from?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The original charger for the iPad Mini 2 is 1 amp. This is plenty for straight charging but might not supply enough power to keep the battery charging under intensive use.

OP
I

iYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at the original charger that came with the iPad now is actually a 5.1V 2.1A 10W adapter. I will buy an equivalent car charger tomorrow have it connected to charger instead of iPod connection and drive around same way under same load on iPad for a couple days to see if it makes any difference. If it does I'll have to figure out how to split the power cables from car iPod lead and feed power from separate charger.

OP
I

iYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought a 2.4A 12W Belkin car charger and headed off to work 30 minutes drive. Instead of losing 2-4% battery life I've gained 5% whilst using the iPad same way. If battery life app is anything to go by then its charging rate is around 575 mA on Belkin adapter and around 150 mA connected to iPod interface. Does anyone know if iOS reduces the charging rate if a accessory is connected like some Androids? Or could it be Dension isn't capable of outputting the current they claim?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    764.3 KB · Views: 542
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    821.9 KB · Views: 515
OP
I

iYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my way back where I usually loose another 2-4% battery life. I've decided to give it another go plugging it into iPod interface but without selecting iPod on radio so it's charging only and no accessorys are connected. It's charged similarly to how it did plugged into separate charger, battery at 100%. So it does seem like iOS does the same as Android.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    752.3 KB · Views: 466

Most reactions

Latest posts