What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad mini can't find iPhone and vice versa- bluetooth

oldcelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've turned bluetooth on and off till I'm blue in the face (pun intended) and both devices claim to be discoverable. I've tried moving them closer and further apart - no joy!

What the h..l does one have to do?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can't connect an iPad and an iPhone via bluetooth. You can use the personal hotspot to connect them, if you want to use the iPhone's cellular feature to connect the iPad to the internet.

OP
O

oldcelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't connect an iPad and an iPhone via bluetooth. You can use the personal hotspot to connect them, if you want to use the iPhone's cellular feature to connect the iPad to the internet.
Why not - bluetooth is a universal standard so why can't two Apple bluetooth devices connect to each other.

OP
O

oldcelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is it that you're looking to accomplish by connecting the two devices?
Asimple transfer of anything contained on either device without having to follow some Apple devised tortuous unique method.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Asimple transfer of anything contained on either device without having to follow some Apple devised tortuous unique method.
IOS devices cannot connect via Bluetooth for any kind of data transfer. Using the personal hotspot feature with Bluetooth is the only way to connect two iOS devices. Bluetooth can also be used to connect speakers, keyboards, etc..

If you want to transfer data on one iOS device to another iOS device you have to do it through iTunes or with a compatible app such as Dropbox.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Basically, bluetooth sucks as a transfer method. It's slow and distance limited. Apple, as Apple often does, chooses not to implement technology it thinks will result in a poor experience. They'd rather you be mad at them for not including something than including it, but having it work poorly.

AirDrop is their preferred method of transferring stuff between devices. This uses bluetooth to discover other devices, but peer-to-peer wi-fi to do the transfer. But, you need newer devices to do this, because it requires the newer wi-fi radios that can create multiple network connections.

If your main need is to transfer photos and/or videos the PhotoSync app does a fine job. It will even attempt a bluetooth transfer if you don't have both devices on the same wi-fi network; but I warn you, it will be sloooow; if it works at all.

Note: Sometimes Apple blows it and something they do sucks anyway, but they almost never take 'known' poor solution and use it. They'd much rather fail at something that's supposed to be better than settle for something that's already bad. IMO

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just noticed that PhotoSync has not been updated for iOS 8 yet. It still works for photos in the Photos tab, but the album views are not supported. That will still let you transfer anything taken/saved on the local device.

The shared iCloud albums are also working.

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Twerppoet, I forgot to thank you for recommending PhotoSync to me. I'm still using ios7 and it's not really that slow for pictures even with no internet connection. I'm sure it will update soon. I'm going to wait a little longer for iOS 8

OP
O

oldcelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, for transfer of the odd file or photo on the spur of the moment I've never found bluetooth to be anything but satisfactory. It's simple and reasonably quick and works for all types of data.

Apple seem to like to compartmentalise everything and thus complicate what should just be simple - like bluetooth. Bluetooth was never intended to be a major device synchronisation system, just an occasional exchange method for an item of data between two devices. In that respect, it serves its purpose admirably.

And don't even mention iTunes - urrgh! Bloatware at its worst. They can't even update the thing without one having to download the whole of the new version - gb of data taking forever to download and install and nearly as long to start up after installation.

I know that the next time I come here I'll be bringing my trusty Samsung notebook. This iPad goes up on eBay as soon as I get back to England.

Last edited:

Most reactions