IPad mini can't find iPhone and vice versa- bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by oldcelt, Oct 2, 2014.

1. oldcelt

oldcelt
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've turned bluetooth on and off till I'm blue in the face (pun intended) and both devices claim to be discoverable. I've tried moving them closer and further apart - no joy!

What the h..l does one have to do?

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can't connect an iPad and an iPhone via bluetooth. You can use the personal hotspot to connect them, if you want to use the iPhone's cellular feature to connect the iPad to the internet.

3. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What is it that you're looking to accomplish by connecting the two devices?

4. oldcelt

oldcelt
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Why not - bluetooth is a universal standard so why can't two Apple bluetooth devices connect to each other.

5. oldcelt

oldcelt
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Asimple transfer of anything contained on either device without having to follow some Apple devised tortuous unique method.

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    IOS devices cannot connect via Bluetooth for any kind of data transfer. Using the personal hotspot feature with Bluetooth is the only way to connect two iOS devices. Bluetooth can also be used to connect speakers, keyboards, etc..

If you want to transfer data on one iOS device to another iOS device you have to do it through iTunes or with a compatible app such as Dropbox.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Basically, bluetooth sucks as a transfer method. It's slow and distance limited. Apple, as Apple often does, chooses not to implement technology it thinks will result in a poor experience. They'd rather you be mad at them for not including something than including it, but having it work poorly.

AirDrop is their preferred method of transferring stuff between devices. This uses bluetooth to discover other devices, but peer-to-peer wi-fi to do the transfer. But, you need newer devices to do this, because it requires the newer wi-fi radios that can create multiple network connections.

If your main need is to transfer photos and/or videos the PhotoSync app does a fine job. It will even attempt a bluetooth transfer if you don't have both devices on the same wi-fi network; but I warn you, it will be sloooow; if it works at all.

Note: Sometimes Apple blows it and something they do sucks anyway, but they almost never take 'known' poor solution and use it. They'd much rather fail at something that's supposed to be better than settle for something that's already bad. IMO

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Just noticed that PhotoSync has not been updated for iOS 8 yet. It still works for photos in the Photos tab, but the album views are not supported. That will still let you transfer anything taken/saved on the local device.

The shared iCloud albums are also working.

9. 2112

Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Twerppoet, I forgot to thank you for recommending PhotoSync to me. I'm still using ios7 and it's not really that slow for pictures even with no internet connection. I'm sure it will update soon. I'm going to wait a little longer for iOS 8

10. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No problem. Slow is a relative term, of course.