What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad mini black

MayThirty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone having a problem with the beautiful black ipad mini aluminum scratching and chipping resulting in an ugly half silver scratched ipad back? GRRR

OP
M

MayThirty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
No. Mine is inside a case.

I use the apple Smart Cover with my ipad. I use it for my ipad 3 and the silver aluminum doesn't scratch at all from regular use putting it down on desk etc.
the mini in black scratches super easily.

I like slim cases otherwise why have a mini??

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the apple Smart Cover with my ipad. I use it for my ipad 3 and the silver aluminum doesn't scratch at all from regular use putting it down on desk etc.
the mini in black scratches super easily.

I like slim cases otherwise why have a mini??

Silver doesn't show scratches, black does. If you get black and you don't cover the back, then why complain about scratches?

They make some very light weight cases that cover the back and the front. The apple Smart Cover is not the best value nor is it the best protection.

OP
M

MayThirty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Silver doesn't show scratches, black does. If you get black and you don't cover the back, then why complain about scratches?

They make some very light weight cases that cover the back and the front. The apple Smart Cover is not the best value nor is it the best protection.

The point is, they shouldn't make products this prone to chipping and scratching. A case should not be a necessity. It should be a preference. It is my preference to utilize the actual size of what I am paying for and not bulk it out with a case. No matter how thin.

Sent from my 64GB iPad mini using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The point is, they shouldn't make products this prone to chipping and scratching. A case should not be a necessity. It should be a preference. It is my preference to utilize the actual size of what I am paying for and not bulk it out with a case. No matter how thin.

While I don't disagree with that, I could look at the way it is made and tell that if it was not inside a case it would get scratched up before I knew it. Since this is a pricey item and I might want to sell it one day, I chose to mine inside one of the zillions of cases available. You don't have to put it in a case, many don't. But they either get the silver or deal with scratches.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought black minis were anodized. My son's went straight into an Otterbox within seconds of being opened, so hopefully that will sort any potential problem out.

I know the Otterbox is not everyone's preference, but they sure do give a level of protection in line with the cost of the iPad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apparently anodizing is not enough to prevent scratching. And knowing there is AL there, I wasn't taking any changes. And all that hoopla about the iPhone 5 getting scratched right out of the box....

I expect metals to get scratches, though. It doesn't take much... The asus infinity pad TF700 had a metal back that was nothing but a scratch magnet. And it was uncomfortable to hold, too. The Google nexus 10 has a coated back of some type....does not seem as premium and catches finger prints for days, but does not scratch. It's not hard to judge what is easy to scratch, at least for me.

OP
M

MayThirty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
I thought black minis were anodized. My son's went straight into an Otterbox within seconds of being opened, so hopefully that will sort any potential problem out.

I know the Otterbox is not everyone's preference, but they sure do give a level of protection in line with the cost of the iPad.

While I understand the safety of the ipad, why get amini and then coat it with that huge shield. Why not just get the regular sized one if size is still not of convenience.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MayThirty1 said:
While I understand the safety of the ipad, why get amini and then coat it with that huge shield. Why not just get the regular sized one if size is still not of convenience.

My son is 10. He's more about function than form. The mini is better for kids' hands. I have an Otterbox for my iPad 2 and while I sometimes use it without the case, the kids refuse to touch it until it's in there. They've seen what happens when an iPod touch hits a tile floor.

OP
M

MayThirty1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
My son is 10. He's more about function than form. The mini is better for kids' hands. I have an Otterbox for my iPad 2 and while I sometimes use it without the case, the kids refuse to touch it until it's in there. They've seen what happens when an iPod touch hits a tile floor.

You've got them trained well.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a scare a couple of weeks ago. One of my son's buddies wanted to use my iPad. I closed down the app I was using, but too late. He saw it. He said "You're always on iPF. What is iPF anyway?" and reopened the app ready to start playing. I'll leave you to imagine what may have happened next, with a 9-year-old at the controls with full moderator privileges. Needless to say, I watched very carefully for the next little while. That taught me to log off before I hand it over.

I have noticed that the Otterbox seems to make the kids realize that the thing inside is ultra sensitive, and they are very careful.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

At 10, I tend to agree with you. At anything younger than 5 I'd think the larger iPad would be better. It's not just about hand size, it's about hand eye co-ordination. There is a reason why toddler toys are made with big buttons and parts, besides swallow proof that is, though that too. ;)

But not being a parent, I'll admit this is second hand thoughts and advice.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MayThirty1 said:

Hmmmm,

Attachments

• image-3187018793.jpg
    image-3187018793.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 144

Most reactions