What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Beats Nexus 7 and Third-Gen iPad in Drop Test

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Square Trade has just carried out a series of three drop tests on several different tablets, including the iPad mini, Nexus 7, and third-gen iPad. Two of the tests involved dropping the tablets from four feet using special apparatus, whereas one involved dunking the tablets in some water for 10 seconds. The tablets were tested for corner drops and faceplate drops, and the iPad mini did best of all in the corner drop test, with very little damage and no screen cracks. In the faceplate test the Nexus came out on top, with only slight cracks, in comparison to major fractures in the two Apple tabs. In the water submersion test, the iPad mini still worked normally after its 10-second-soaking, while the bigger iPad had a malfunctioning home button and was also sluggish to respond to touch input. Not much was made of the Nexus after the dunking, which was “unresponsive.†Overall, Square Trade proclaimed the iPad mini to be the winner!

Source: 'Drop test' finds iPad mini is more rugged than Nexus 7, 3rd-gen iPad

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They could at least put them in a case.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The pictures are downright revolting. Made me squeamish to see. But I'm glad someone else with lots of time and money did this test and showed these results. I take this as a precautionary tale: an iPad or any tech device must be carefully protected to mitigate any accident. I'm with you AQ-OC, do the test with the device in a cover like most people.

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ouch! But very very informative .

There's a lot of money that's just been damaged there :-(

I have the ipad 3 & ip5 and hope that neither of them would be subjected to such hazards whilst I own them.

My ipad is used in a white leather bound case ,it pretty much stays at home and rarely used upstairs , there are carpets throughout which is handy just in case ....

My iphone 5 is wrapped up in another white leather wallet protecting it alongside a screen protector . Hopefully the combination of both will ensure it will survive if dropped , I also always keep it in my front pocket , better protected from a fall or trip and its less prone to be stolen .

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5using iPF

1dopebloke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a fair fight as the Ipad3 is bigger in mass which makes the impact harder. I'm no physicist but doesn't that seem to matter....like a lot!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not a fair fight as the Ipad3 is bigger in mass which makes the impact harder. I'm no physicist but doesn't that seem to matter....like a lot!

Agreed. I'm not sure what these folks expect. I could have told you in advance that there was going to be come serious smashing going on. I think these kinds of videos are getting as old as unboxing videos. :)

I should have added that I do find some value in some of the other tests. Like the heat test, cold test, and water tests. All of those are more informative for me than the drop test. I like the high-tech nature of my tablets and don't want them designed so they can survive a drop onto a hard surface while they are naked. I expect that to smash them.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What a waste. A drop test does not mean anything.

For Square Trade, it probably means they price their coverage for the devices based partly on drop results. And by posting such results, they also get publicity and further name recognition when buyers consider extended warranties. So for ST, this is a business expense.

For a consumer like me, it makes no diff what the drop test results are, because it has no effect on my purchases. I don't buy extended coverage for any devices, and I go on the general understanding that drops are bad for any tablet.

Most reactions

Latest posts