What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini as iPod touch?

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an iPad Air and a 4g iPod touch. If apple doesn't upgrade the iPod I was thinking of buying an iPad mini. Problem is if it's running apps as an iPad then I'll need a magnifying glass to make it useable. If I jailbreak it then is there a way to run universal apps as iPhone rather than iPad?

OP
J

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received an email reply that's not showing here that makes it clear I didn't fully explain my predicament and why I'd want to jailbreak an iPad mini.

So here's an example: I use Readdle Calendar 5 which is a universal app. I can just barely read the entries without glasses on my current devices. If the calendar appears on an iPad mini at half the size of the way it appears on my iPad Air the font will be so small it'll be unusable. If I could jailbreak an iPad mini to run the calendar in the iPhone layout I'd be set. The same is true of other apps - they ignore the accessibility options in settings and don't provide their own alternatives.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I deleted the post I made, because on first read I didn't catch the part about forcing a universal app to act like an iPhone app on an iPad. Since I've turned off most of my email notifications for the forum, I tend to forget that others, especially new members, do get them.

I don't know the answer (though I suspect it's No). So, not remembering that you were going to see my answer anyway, I deleted my post.

Sorry.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Usually it's the other way around where users want to force an iPhone/iPod Touch app into iPad sized, not the other way around :p On a stock device, it's not possible of course with respect to how the app is built and how iOS in itself is. Jailbroken, you'll possibly be able to pull it off with just a (relatively) simple Info.plist edit. I don't have my iPad on me at the moment to test it out for you until tomorrow, but if you're jailbroken and can provide the Info.plist for the app, I can fidget around with it and see if I can pull it off without attempting to run the app for trial-and-error.

OP
J

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't bought the iPad mini yet. I'm still making do with my iPod touch 4g.

Most reactions

Latest posts