What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Mini 2 - Nano Sim

mvp2ny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got Ipad Mini 2. It model states that it is on the Verizon network. I have AT&T. Is there a universal prepaid Nano Sim available that will work or do I need to add it on to Verizon account? Trying to avoid another monthly bill.

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad Mini 2 should work on the AT&T network. You will probably have to take it in to them for a new SIM and provisioning. To the best of my knowledge no carrier (including Verizon) has been locking iPads. But if they did, you have the right to have the device unlocked as long as you own it outright (it is not part of an active carrier contract.)

As for hardware, all recent iPads, including the Mini 2, are capable of working with all the major US carrier networks, and most overseas ones. Only the SIM needs to be changed.

As far a a universal SIM, the only one I know of is Apple's SIM, and I don't think you can buy them separately. They come as an option with the newest iPads when purchased directly from Apple. Even then, some carriers will lock the SIM when you choose one of their plans. (Can't remember if this was AT&T or Verizon).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AT&T is the carrier that permanently locks the Apple SIM card to their network. I believe Verizon doesn't participate in the Apple SIM card program.

Most reactions

Latest posts