What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad memory vs storage

alzomb001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
on my desktop I have 4Gb of memory and 2Tb of storage..(Hard disc)

Is there a similar differentiator for the IPad or is all of the 64Gb both memory and storage?

The reason I ask is that when using Google Earth I sometimes get the Google Earth is running out of memory msg. I have 40Gb of the 64 free.

Thanks Al

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
on my desktop I have 4Gb of memory and 2Tb of storage..(Hard disc)

Is there a similar differentiator for the IPad or is all of the 64Gb both memory and storage?

The reason I ask is that when using Google Earth I sometimes get the Google Earth is running out of memory msg. I have 40Gb of the 64 free.

Thanks Al
The memory and storage are two separate things. The memory is the RAM and the storage is the 16, 32, 64, or 128GB intended for storing the OS, apps, movies, Misic, etc..​

The iPad 1 has 256GB of Ram, the iPad 2 has 512GB of RAM and all newer iPads have 1GB of RAM.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad 3 has 1GB RAM (memory), afaik, and that seems to be affected when you get the message. Force close apps when you see this: double tap the Home button to show the multitask bar, slide thumbnails above the app icons towards the top of the screen.

OP
A

alzomb001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for these answers. I'm always impressed by the knowledge you guys have. Thanks again

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome. Don't hesitate to come back if you have any more questions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The memory and storage are two separate things. The memory is the RAM and the storage is the 16, 32, 64, or 128GB intended for storing the OS, apps, movies, Misic, etc..​

The iPad 1 has 256GB of Ram, the iPad 2 has 512GB of RAM and all newer iPads have 1GB of RAM.

Apparently, the iPad Air 2 has 2 GB of RAM. The teardown and benchmark geeks seem to be in agreement with that.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The iPad 1 has 256MB of Ram, the iPad 2 has 512GB of RAM and all newer iPads have 1GB of RAM.

Well, I believe that the Ms & Gs were mixed up, i.e. iPad 1 = 256 MB RAM & iPad 2 = 512 MB RAM - ;) Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts