What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad makes Apple the #3 Manufacturer

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MacWorld and others report that if you consider the iPad as a computer, Apple has the third highest market share of global portable computers for the second quarter of 2010. And if the trend continues, may make it to number one if it continues to cannibilize the netbook and low end laptop sales. This moves Apple from 7th place, jumping over Toshiba, Asus, Lenova, and Dell. Looking at the sales chart, they went from 4% to at least 12% share. All other manufacturers lost share. HP went from 23% to 17% market share.

If a suitable competitor does not comes around, Apple may overtake all of them when they get production ramped up.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's nice to hear. My iPad is my 1st Apple device ever. And I think this sort of genius should be rewarded just how Steve Jobs would like...cold hard cash and status lol
The developers and Jobs really are masterminds. To think the iPad up and to sell the idea really is genius.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow, im proud to be the owner of an Ipad. :)

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
For me defining what is a computer is the hard part. In traditional terms IMHO the iPad is not a computer. But, I wager in 20 years it will be hard to even find a "traditional" computer. The 80's is when our concept of what a computer is was defined, the next few years I think will define the next wave....

But, computer or not... the iPad is a wonderful device, and Apple deserves the success they are receiving....

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me defining what is a computer is the hard part. In traditional terms IMHO the iPad is not a computer. But, I wager in 20 years it will be hard to even find a "traditional" computer. The 80's is when our concept of what a computer is was defined, the next few years I think will define the next wave....

But, computer or not... the iPad is a wonderful device, and Apple deserves the success they are receiving....

I agree. If the iPad could be used without a host it would deserve to be called a 100% computer. At this moment it still needs mama to tie it's shoelaces...

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It used to be that many so-called computers were simply work stations. Now we are using cloud computing much the same way as work stations were used. Eventually the iPad will wean off of a base computer, but it has to be given a chance to grow.

Most reactions

Latest posts