What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mail Question, or two

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. How does one set the view page so that the entire screen is showing only the email you are reading? Sometimes I have a longer email, and I don't want the inbox listed on the right side.
2. Is there a way to make the mail program notify you better? I have Facebook, Gmail, News, etc, all notifying me, but I cannot effect changes in the way the default email program (doesn't) notify. Specifically, when I power the ipad and I'm ready to enter my password, I'm seeing a list of new FB, GMail, etc.... but no email.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
1. How does one set the view page so that the entire screen is showing only the email you are reading? Sometimes I have a longer email, and I don't want the inbox listed on the right side.

In the Mail app, turn the iPad to the portrait orientation. Then, the list will disappear (you can get it back by swiping from the left). You can't have the list disappear when the iPad is in landscape.

2. Is there a way to make the mail program notify you better? I have Facebook, Gmail, News, etc, all notifying me, but I cannot effect changes in the way the default email program (doesn't) notify. Specifically, when I power the ipad and I'm ready to enter my password, I'm seeing a list of new FB, GMail, etc.... but no email.

You might not have your Mail app set up to notify you or to fetch mail or both. To have the Mail app notify you of new mail, go to the General section in your Settings app. The settings for the Mail app may be in the top section (for those apps in the Notification Center) or in the bottom portion (for the apps that won't show in the Notification Center). Wherever it is, select it to go to the options.

You will see options to have new mail show in the Notification Center, what alert style you wish to use, whether to have a badge on the icon, show preview or view in the lockscreen. Select whichever option you wish. Then, it will show up.

Now, even with all that set, if you don't have the Mail app set to get mail (versus waiting until you open the app to get mail), nothing will show in the lockscreen. To change the settings (to make the iPad look for mail, go back to your Settings app. This time, go to the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" line. Look for the line that reads "Fetch." There are several time options for how often you want the mail program to look for mail. Pick the one you wish and then notifications will start to appear based on the settings you chose for notifications as described above. Do note that having your iPad fetch mail will make the battery not last as long as NOT looking for mail. Just so's you know.

Hope some of this helps. Holler back if it doesn't.

Marilyn

OP
K

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I've got all the help I ever needed from this forum. 3 months ago I had never owned any Apple product, now it's my go-to.

OP
K

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That was it!!! I had the mail settings to "fetch" "manually". Switched to "every hour". Thanks Again.

Most reactions

Latest posts