What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mail and cut n paste standard reply from document

DaveNewby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for advice on the best way to do the following task on an iPad.

I want to be able to read mail, and reply to a mail, by cutting and pasting a standard reply that I have currently have in a Word Document.

I have bought an Ipad Air 2 and have never used an iPad or any Apple device before.

I have a word document file that I use on my PC, that has approx. 20 standard replies to common questions that I receive by email.

Should I convert the word document to some other format, and copy it to the iPad via Dropbox?

Or leave it in the Word Document format and copy it to the iPad via Dropbox?

I have setup Mail on the iPad to receive my pop3 mail… so that part is working ok.

When I receive an email… how to I move to another App in order to open the document file?

Which App should I use to open the document file?

I am sure there are many ways to do this task…. but I am hoping that someone with experience of doing something similar could explain to me the steps involved.

Thanks in Advance,

Dave

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1 method that comes to mind is Shortcuts. You can set a bunch of phrases with shortcuts at Settings-General-Keyboard-Shortcut

A good example is a signature for signing off an email. I click the + to add a shortcut, then under Phrase, type in (or copy in) my signature. For the shortcut I might put "siggy"

As I type that into any app, the iPad will offer up the full signature as an option.

I'm not sure if there are any limitations on the length of the phrase, but it will certainly work for sentences, email signatures, etc.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible to import the file to Dropbox, copy the text there and paste it to the email.
You can also use other apps that work with Word files, it will work the same way:

Close the Mail app. Open the app with your text file/s. Highlight the text and select "Copy". Then leave the app and open Mail again. Paste the text into your reply.

Online storage such as OneDrive, Box, Dropbox allow this - there'll certainly be more apps than just those three.

Most reactions

Latest posts