What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad made of wood project!

jaden1592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So my ipad broke a few months ago because i left it ontop of my car and at 45mph the wind caught it and flew into traffic, the aluminum case got completly warped but everything else is fine.

My project beginning today is going to be the ipad screen on a wooden box same width and length as a normal ipad but im going to make the wooden box thicker . The box will be stained with wood stainer and have a nice finish. I should end up with basically an ipad in a wooden housing.

All the buttons will be functional because I am going to drill out special holes for volume mic. etc.

Tell me your thoughts and if it turns out well offer me a price if your interested in buying.

Attachments

• IMG_20110906_202842.jpg
    IMG_20110906_202842.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 386

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At times the ipad does tend to get warm, aren't you a little nervous abou the wood starting to smoke or catch fire?

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jaden1592 said:
So my ipad broke a few months ago because i left it ontop of my car and at 45mph the wind caught it and flew into traffic, the aluminum case got completly warped but everything else is fine.

My project beginning today is going to be the ipad screen on a wooden box same width and length as a normal ipad but im going to make the wooden box thicker . The box will be stained with wood stainer and have a nice finish. I should end up with basically an ipad in a wooden housing.

All the buttons will be functional because I am going to drill out special holes for volume mic. etc.

Tell me your thoughts and if it turns out well offer me a price if your interested in buying.

It's not April 1st yet is it?

OP
jaden1592

jaden1592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update

So I decided not to use wood but acrylic. Im going to make the acrylic into the box the size of a text book. just ordered some transprent blue acrylic. the finished project will be uploaded next week... stay tuned

OP
jaden1592

jaden1592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well im not worried at all, a soldering iron which gets up to 800 degrees cant even catch wood on fire. plus if you can hold the ipad when its that warm im okay

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jaden1592 said:

That's amazing it still works. I guess you have no other option, but I'm interested though in how it turns out. Good luck

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own a machine shop and it would be pretty easy to machine a case on a CNC mill. Not sure how yours will look done another way.

OP
jaden1592

jaden1592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen did not break because it was in it's case. I suggest anyone with an ipad get an otterbox case just because its super rugged and you wont end up like me. Also, when my parts arrive I will keep this all updated and fresh with the project. Going to make a video of it as well.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if it was in the otterbox case and the screen didn't break, how did the back side get mangled? Did it hit on a corner or something and jack up the back side?

OP
jaden1592

jaden1592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So if it was in the otterbox case and the screen didn't break, how did the back side get mangled? Did it hit on a corner or something and jack up the back side?

Yes exactly my leather case got hit on the corner. i had it in a leather case ii wish i had an otterbox

Most reactions

Latest posts