What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad locator is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not true. I recall IBM promising to track your thinkpad if it was stolen with some chip inside. Assuming they go online with it.
I don't know if it was a service you had to pay for or not but it was offered.

You're saying IBM would have to track your device after it was stolen. IBM did not say it would prevent the theft of your device, even according to your memory. If you can prove that Apple ever made such a promise, you should take it up with a class-action lawyer if you think it's not delivering. They work on percentage, so you wouldn't even have to pay upfront.

And if you think IBM still offers such a service, if it ever existed, maybe you should shop for an IBM tablet the next time you're shopping for one.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never said Apple did. I know IBM did when I worked at PWC which was 10 ears ago. I didn't say Apple should either so don't twist what I say. IBM made the claim they could track the laptops with their new chip. Did they tack any? No idea but they made the claim in their commercials so they probably did.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never said Apple did. I know IBM did when I worked at PWC which was 10 ears ago. I didn't say Apple should either so don't twist what I say. IBM made the claim they could track the laptops with their new chip. Did they tack any? No idea but they made the claim in their commercials so they probably did.

I doubt IBM had success with any kind of tracking to retrieve devices. I had three ThinkPads over the past 10 or so years, before IBM sold that part to the Chinese, and that feature wasn't offered in devices ranging from $1,500-$2,000. Each of those ThinkPads also had a one-touch restore to factory settings button, which any thief could use.

Basically, with any device, do your best to protect your property and data. Don't rely on tracking to protect you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts