iPad locator is a joke

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by brockmanah, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richsadams

richsadams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. :thumbs: If you're using your iPad in "the wild" and don't have it password protected (and set to turn off after an appropriate period of being idle) it's no more secure than any other $500 to $800+ piece of property you might carelessly leave lying around.

2. Ncaissie

Ncaissie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Find my iPhone works fine for me.
    But like someone said you can simply torn it off.
    As for a password, it can be restored and that password is no good. As well the find my iPhone would be no longer enabled.

3. richsadams

richsadams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    True, however with password protection your secure data remains secure and no one has access to (your) 3G network account...which was the OP's complaint.

#13 richsadams, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    All Apple does is offer you a way to protect your data, and maybe track your device. There's no guarantee, implied or stated, that your device can't be stolen. There's no such device on the planet.

5. Ncaissie

Ncaissie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Not true. I recall IBM promising to track your thinkpad if it was stolen with some chip inside. Assuming they go online with it.
    I don't know if it was a service you had to pay for or not but it was offered.

6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    You're saying IBM would have to track your device after it was stolen. IBM did not say it would prevent the theft of your device, even according to your memory. If you can prove that Apple ever made such a promise, you should take it up with a class-action lawyer if you think it's not delivering. They work on percentage, so you wouldn't even have to pay upfront.

And if you think IBM still offers such a service, if it ever existed, maybe you should shop for an IBM tablet the next time you're shopping for one.

7. Ncaissie

Ncaissie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I never said Apple did. I know IBM did when I worked at PWC which was 10 ears ago. I didn't say Apple should either so don't twist what I say. IBM made the claim they could track the laptops with their new chip. Did they tack any? No idea but they made the claim in their commercials so they probably did.

8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I doubt IBM had success with any kind of tracking to retrieve devices. I had three ThinkPads over the past 10 or so years, before IBM sold that part to the Chinese, and that feature wasn't offered in devices ranging from $1,500-$2,000. Each of those ThinkPads also had a one-touch restore to factory settings button, which any thief could use.

Basically, with any device, do your best to protect your property and data. Don't rely on tracking to protect you.

9. richsadams

richsadams
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    The OP's questions have been answered. Thanks to everyone.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.