What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad & Linksys WRT160N Wireless Router

hightimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ran into this problem the other day and I thought it might help someone with similar issues.

I have a Linksys router for my 3 laptop house. Everything worked great with the Windows machines. Over the holidays my inlaws brought their ipad over but we couldn't get it to connect to my wifi using the WPA2 pass phrase. Every time I entered it it was rejected. Finally, after much mucking about, I logged in to my router and reduced the pass phrase from the insanely long one (32+ or whatever the max is) to something more manageable in the 9-15 character range and it worked. Can't say for sure if it was the long pass phrase or changing it on the router caused some other thing to reset but it worked. Of course, I then had to change it on all my other computers but c'est la vie!

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe you got a letter wrong after 32... lol I just need one I can remember :) I would give up before I got 32 entered.....

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
My passphrase is 24 characters and I have had no issues whatsoever. The only reason mine is 24 characters is because I made it something that is easily remembered for me. Anything more than 16 characters is overkill, really. The amount of time required to break through the encryption would be such that I would notice the weird van parked outside my house long before they got the first letter/number.

You may want to verify the Encryption Setting is set for TKIP/AES as well. That can change how some devices communicate the passphrase. Also, are you at the latest firmware version? That router is a solid piece and I have had nothing but success in getting it working and having it work well with all my devices.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same router, and my passcode is somewhere around 8-10 characters and I haven't had any problems with iPad connectivity.

OP
H

hightimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm about 99.9% sure I didn't mistype the password after the 15th attempt or so. Plus my other devices worked fine with the long one. I considered updating the router's firmware but, again, the other devices worked fine so why potentially mess up my home wifi for a unit (the iPad) that was only going to use it for a couple of days?

Changing/shortening the pass phrase was a relatively painless troubleshooting attempt that ended up resolving the problem. Might not work for anyone else but thought I'd throw it out there.

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had trouble logging in to a WiFi system at our marina using the very simple password. Did not have the same trouble logging in with my Windows laptop, however. Have not had an opportunity to log in with the iPad since installing the new OS, so perhaps this has improved.

Most reactions

Latest posts