What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad lacks even basic web browsing

wallyflint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an $830 iPad 2 days ago. I've spent at least 10 hours and $30 downloading and installing web browser after web browser, and I still don't have even the most basic web browsing capability. Consider the following web page:

http colon slash slash docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/nutsandbolts/expressions.html

I want to increase the size of the text on this page. No... I don't want to increase the size of the discussion text while leaving the size of the code example text too small to be read even with a magnifying glass. No... I don't want to scroll horizontally with every line. And yes, I want to be able to read the java tutorial offline from the iPad memory.

All I expected was the most basic web browsing capability, and after all this time and all this money I still don't have it. The features mentioned here should have been provided right out of the box - especially when you consider the astronomical prices of Apple products. All I can say is that you can bet I'll recommend Android to anyone who will listen. :mad:

OK, rant over. Can anyone suggest a browser that will resize and wrap text? (And that hopefully would also allow offline viewing.)

fredycruger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by IPF staff in accordance with the Forum Rules

Seriously? For a second post you are not doing well. Please read our rules if you have any intentions of surviving here and JB that wonderful Christmas present you just got.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@fredycruger: they say if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. When it comes to posting forums, if you're not going to post something posing a constructive or helpful answer or question, don't bother posting at all.

Ontopic:
I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but the iPad, while designed for light web browsing won't reach your every need. I can however tell you that the instapaper app on the app store allows you to save web pages for offline viewing and may even allow you to change the text size. As for changing text size in safari, you can do it if the reader icon appears on a web page. This allows you to view something without adds and gives you the option to change the font size. On the whole though, you do have to expect to zoom and move around the page as that is how it's designed. After all the screen would have to been pretty big if it were to accommodate a whole webpage at reading size.

Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

stormydog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an $830 iPad 2 days ago. I've spent at least 10 hours and $30 downloading and installing web browser after web browser, and I still don't have even the most basic web browsing capability. Consider the following web page:

http colon slash slash docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/nutsandbolts/expressions.html

I want to increase the size of the text on this page. No... I don't want to increase the size of the discussion text while leaving the size of the code example text too small to be read even with a magnifying glass. No... I don't want to scroll horizontally with every line. And yes, I want to be able to read the java tutorial offline from the iPad memory.

All I expected was the most basic web browsing capability, and after all this time and all this money I still don't have it. The features mentioned here should have been provided right out of the box - especially when you consider the astronomical prices of Apple products. All I can say is that you can bet I'll recommend Android to anyone who will listen. :mad:

OK, rant over. Can anyone suggest a browser that will resize and wrap text? (And that hopefully would also allow offline viewing.)

This page can be loaded from the browser into the reader app an therefore you can set the font size.
As to downloading the web pages for off-site viewing can't help, maybe buy some oracle books ?

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stormydog said:
This page can be loaded from the browser into the reader app an therefore you can set the font size.
As to downloading the web pages for off-site viewing can't help, maybe buy some oracle books ?

The reader function of safari does display this very well, good find stormydog!

Also you can download apps that allow you to save web pages as PDF or purchase goodreader and you can download the HTML pages for viewing later on such as web to PDF or if you purchase iCal web browser (which is very good IMO) it has extensions that allow you to download, change text size, save as a PDF etc check it out it's much better than safari!

Last edited:
OP
W

wallyflint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, the reader function window truncates the longer lines of code. See for example at the bottom the line that says:

System.out.println("Condition

which should read:

System.out.println("Condition is false.");

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wallyflint said:
Actually, the reader function window truncates the longer lines of code. See for example at the bottom the line that says:

System.out.println("Condition

which should read:

System.out.println("Condition is false.");

Just purchase iCab then! :) readability, icabs extension is just like safaris reader but it displays it perfectly fine.

Attached is a screeny!

Attachments

• image-2113350524.png
    image-2113350524.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

fredycruger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously? For a second post you are not doing well. Please read our rules if you have any intentions of surviving here and JB that wonderful Christmas present you just got.

sorry ....im ill go sit in the corner now

OP
W

wallyflint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who responded. I tried iCab but it didn't work. I think there should be a browser for iPad that works exactly like pretty much all browsers for desktops and laptops... that is, text reflows inside the visible window. This was one of the main ideas behind HTML in the first place. If any developer worries about drawbacks to this approach, then just make the reflow optional. I think this is a critical need for small screen devices like the iPad.

Thanks again for all the help!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wallyflint said:
Thanks to everyone who responded. I tried iCab but it didn't work. I think there should be a browser for iPad that works exactly like pretty much all browsers for desktops and laptops... that is, text reflows inside the visible window. This was one of the main ideas behind HTML in the first place. If any developer worries about drawbacks to this approach, then just make the reflow optional. I think this is a critical need for small screen devices like the iPad.

Thanks again for all the help!

Have you checked the settings? You can change the browser id to behave like Firefox or Internet explorer!

OP
W

wallyflint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you checked the settings? You can change the browser id to behave like Firefox or Internet explorer!

I think the browser ID is just something that tells the server which browser is being used to request the page. In other words, it does not affect the behavior of the iCab browser, only the information sent by the server.

But just to be sure I set it to Firefox 4 Mac, but it didn't make any difference. But thanks for the idea anyway!

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@wallyflint
Hâve you checked Atomic browser? When increasing font, it will do pretty much what you want, ie text reflow... Also, Atomic browser can save pages for offline reading...

Most reactions

Latest posts