What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad keyboard?

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the best keyboard for the iPad?, getting ready to start school again and I want to use it for papers,notes.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a folding Bluetooth keyboard - it folds into a very small space and fits into a faux leather pouch. It's so small that you're never tempted not to take it with you. There are several models available - see Amazon - and some have dedicated iPad buttons - for 'Home', 'Volume' etc. Having a (nearly) full-size keyboard is essential if you're going to be doing a lot of typing or you're a touch typist. Battery life is a couple of months and the keyboard automatically goes to sleep after you've not typed for a while. Hitting any key wakes it up again and re-activates the connection to the iPad.

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used two models.

() I usually use the Apple Wireless keyboard in conjunction with the NCase "Origami Workstation," a keyboard case the "unfolds" into a stand that holds the iPad in either portrait or landscape orientation. Very good keyboard, (I'm picky about keyboards.) And it is both compact and doesn't feel cramped. Should be noted, though, that while you can control brightness and volume from the keyboard, other iPad functions (e.g. Home button) cannot be controlled from the keyboard and the arrow keys are problematic, sometimes they work and sometimes not depending on the app.

I prefer it to the Zaggmate/Logitech all-in-one case/keyboard combo but it does require a separate case or bag to hold both the iPad and the keyboard case.

() Another option is the Microsoft 6000 travel keyboard. It's superior to the Apple version in several ways. First, it is an outstanding, not just a "very good" keyboard. And unlike the rectangular Apple keyboard it's curved (but flat) for better ergonmics (no wrist strain even after hours of typing.) It's also about $25 cheaper than the Apple keyboard ($44 on Amazon as I recall.)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the Origami Workstation keyboard case. It's a couple of inches "longer" (left to right) and while that's an advantage in terms of typing ease, it's a bit less portable (but only slightly.) I use it with my 15 inch laptop and occasionally with the iPad if I'm composing a long document. As with the Apple keyboard, control of specific iPad controls is limited to volume, brightness, and in some apps to arrow functions.

() I haven't used any of the recently released "foldable" keyboards. But I've used them in the past and found models I've tried to be lacking in good "feel" and not very durable. (As I said, I'm picky.) If you value portability over other considerations and don't expect to type for long stretches, they may work well. (And as noted in a post above, some actually have dedicated iPad keys (like Home) that even the Apple Wireless keyboard lacks (inexplicably.)

OP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the great response

Reaction score
+1 on the Zagg mate. It also has dedicated keys for wake, volume, etc.
Look on the Zagg mate review thread that has about 600+ responses. About the third post or so down from the beginning of page 1 is a list of shortcut keys and combos
http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=14057
[Personal] Review of ZAGGmate (Bluetooth Keyboard/Case)
My only gripe is it's not back lit, making it impossible for me to type in dark conditions without lots of errors.
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:
OP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sound like the zagg is the way to go,I'm new to apple so everyones advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
I've used two models.

() I usually use the Apple Wireless keyboard in conjunction with the NCase [InCase] "Origami Workstation," a keyboard case the "unfolds" into a stand that holds the iPad in either portrait or landscape orientation. Very good keyboard, (I'm picky about keyboards.) And it is both compact and doesn't feel cramped. Should be noted, though, that while you can control brightness and volume from the keyboard, other iPad functions (e.g. Home button) cannot be controlled from the keyboard and the arrow keys are problematic, sometimes they work and sometimes not depending on the app.

I too am a fan of Apple's Wireless Keyboard. It is one of the best "portable" keyboards that I've used... bar none. It always pairs beautifully and has a wonderful feel to it. Until now, I had been trying unsuccessfully to find a proper case to protect it while on the road, which basically is... well constantly. I had been using a larger bag to carry both the keyboard and the iPad along with a couple of cables etc., but felt a bit uncomfortable with the way things could press upon the keys unless I was extra careful.

I saw your post today and had the time to look around a bit. I noticed that a local Best Buy had it in stock, purchased it, and am using it for the first time now to write this. While I had heard of the Origami Workstation (big name lol), I never really took the time to examine it closely until I came across the compelling wording in your comments above. What can I say... love at first sight/touch? With the SmartCover draped over the back, it is not only incredibly functional but quite the "looker" as well. ;) As you know it is also extremely stable, at least in landscape which is the only way I've used it so far. Thanks so much for this high quality recommendation, I truly appreciate it and will keep my eye out for you in an attempt to somehow give something back.

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad 2 said:
Check out the Menotek pal, it's a nice all round keyboard for lecture notes and homework alike.

This one looks great too, thanks for pointing it out iPad 2. :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am a fan of Apple's Wireless Keyboard. It is one of the best "portable" keyboards that I've used... bar none. It always pairs beautifully and has a wonderful feel to it. Until now, I had been trying unsuccessfully to find a proper case to protect it while on the road, which basically is... well constantly. I had been using a larger bag to carry both the keyboard and the iPad along with a couple of cables etc., but felt a bit uncomfortable with the way things could press upon the keys unless I was extra careful.

I saw your post today and had the time to look around a bit. I noticed that a local Best Buy had it in stock, purchased it, and am using it for the first time now to write this. While I had heard of the Origami Workstation (big name lol), I never really took the time to examine it closely until I came across the compelling wording in your comments above. What can I say... love at first sight/touch? With the SmartCover draped over the back, it is not only incredibly functional but quite the "looker" as well. ;) As you know it is also extremely stable, at least in landscape which is the only way I've used it so far. Thanks so much for this high quality recommendation, I truly appreciate it and will keep my eye out for you in an attempt to somehow give something back.

Thanks for the props, Info. Much appreciated. You're not alone in overlooking the Origami Workstation, I think. Unless one examines the product, the name, itself, doesn't imply its functionality. I ran across it when I was looking at reviews of the Zaggmate case/keyboard combo and realized it had some advantages if you already have a bag and/or a SmartCover. Further, the cost of the Apple Wireless keyboard plus the Origami Workstation is virtually the same as the Zaggmate.

Finally, to avoid dragging this thread too much off-topic, it enables the use of the Apple keyboard which, from what I can tell, is superior to most of its rivals.

P.S. It works very well in a portrait mode.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OP - So which one did you settle on? Are you happy? How about your review?

OP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am honestly torn between the ZaggMate and the Apple wireless keyboard,
They both sound great...ugggh

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just received the zagg but wth?.. It. Z,me dead, I charged it,no go...,via USB...now wondering if the Laptopvhargi g is going to cinch it??
Btw I dislike lotsssss how no cover for the top?????I my return it.I pId,got iT lTe,thN thought I'm missing. Top piece,ok airhead here lol
But wth w the Bluetooth pairing, charging issues!!!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts