What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad keyboard or macbook..

couture91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have an iPad n I just wanted to know if I just buy a keyboard will it work almost the same as a laptop or is my best bet just to get a MacBook.. I just need something for school to type my papers on.

groovdafied

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's funny that you're asking this, last night I took my dell's desktop bluetooth keyboard and almost all keys worked on the iPad. Even the volume knob and media keys worked without a hitch.

When typing on it, it felt really nice, like a small little netbook. But with this said, that means you could probably get any keyboard to your comfort.

In addition to this, you can get Documents To Go, which is a full fledge document editor, and there's Pages from Apple too. If you jailbreak your iPad and install the BTstacks, you can use bluetooth mouse too. Unfortunately the mouse wheel doesn't work, the mouse cursor works like a finger touch pretty much when the button is pressed. I'm starting classes too, and I need to participate in my class discussions and will be using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse as a netbook. Adequate enough for me. The screen maybe small, but the text is vivid enough.

Last edited:
OP
C

couture91

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oo thank you because I was really thinking y couldn't I just buy a keyboard n just use my iPad..

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oo thank you because I was really thinking y couldn't I just buy a keyboard n just use my iPad..

There are a number of excellent choices available. In addition to the Apple Wireless Keyboard ($70), the Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Portable Keyboard ($32) is an EXCELLENT choice. Slightly larger than the AWK but very durable, full size keys, and ergonomically curved. I've used one with a laptop for a couple of years and it works like a charm with the iPad.

Targus also has a new keyboard ($44) that has excellent specs and a form factor very similar to the AWK. And I don't know if there's a fire sale going on at HP, but the bluetooth keyboard introduced with the late lamented (or unlamented) HP tablet should also work very well.

LawrenceMarcos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have an iPad n I just wanted to know if I just buy a keyboard will it work almost the same as a laptop or is my best bet just to get a MacBook.. I just need something for school to type my papers on.

Just get a MacBook...it will make your work easy.

groovdafied

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There are a number of excellent choices available. In addition to the Apple Wireless Keyboard ($70), the Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth Portable Keyboard ($32) is an EXCELLENT choice. Slightly larger than the AWK but very durable, full size keys, and ergonomically curved. I've used one with a laptop for a couple of years and it works like a charm with the iPad.

Targus also has a new keyboard ($44) that has excellent specs and a form factor very similar to the AWK. And I don't know if there's a fire sale going on at HP, but the bluetooth keyboard introduced with the late lamented (or unlamented) HP tablet should also work very well.

Cool! I want to get one of these keyboards for comfort.

AileenFlannigan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with the iPad is that it does not have iTunes or a way to sync the iPhone to back that up. W/out these, an iPad would be worthless in regards to not needing a computer over an iPad. Now if the iPad could do these two things, then I wouldn't need my MacBook because honestly, all I do is web browse with it (other than iTunes, that is ;) )

After having my Macbook for about a month now, I can honestly say that I have completely forgotten all about the iPad. My Macbook is a portable version of my iMac and I'm sure the iPad isn't going to be able to hold up against it. I'm really starting to feel like the iPad is going to be nothing but an oversized iPod Touch. I'll wait for the 2nd version maybe they'll get it right next time.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with the iPad is that it does not have iTunes or a way to sync the iPhone to back that up. W/out these, an iPad would be worthless in regards to not needing a computer over an iPad. Now if the iPad could do these two things, then I wouldn't need my MacBook because honestly, all I do is web browse with it (other than iTunes, that is ;) )

After having my Macbook for about a month now, I can honestly say that I have completely forgotten all about the iPad. My Macbook is a portable version of my iMac and I'm sure the iPad isn't going to be able to hold up against it. I'm really starting to feel like the iPad is going to be nothing but an oversized iPod Touch. I'll wait for the 2nd version maybe they'll get it right next time.

Actually, from Apple's point of view they got it right this time. They're not interested in cannibalizing their PC sales by moving people "down" to iPads. They're interested in (and have been very successful at) moving consumers "up" from the iPod Touch (whose sales have dropped 20% compared to last year) to the iPad.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
￿I don't quite understand the very last post (other than I'm sure it doesn't belong in this particular thread), but back to keyboards, etc...

I have the Apple Wireless Keyboard, and it's a really fine piece of equipment and sized well to match the trimmness of the iPad. It stows well in a soft-case that I got, which is just big enough to fit the iPad too. I also have a Bluetooth travel mouse and use both of these daily.

I'll say, however, that the BTStack software leaves quite a bit to be desired. The stack and the two "selector" modules (BTStack Keyboard and BTStack Mouse) are unreliable, in that it is a pain to get them going and connected - requiring a VERY SPECIFIC sequence of steps to make it all work together. The BTStack crashes constantly (either just suddenly while working or if leaving the iPad alone for a while, then coming back). I have Insomnia, a program which disallows background programs to go to sleep while it's running, and that seems to help some.

In spite of the above short comings, the addition of a keyboard, mouse, and little stand for the Ipad (I have one called the Compass - really nice unit) makes for a great little laptop (or desktop) substitute. There are postitives and negatives - about the same with any other manner of trying to accomplish what you want to do.

I should mention that the iPads internal Bluetooth stack and the external keyboard REALLY play well together - but.... if you want a mouse, you gotta go the whole route with the BTStack software and modules, disabling the internal (native) bluetooth stack altogether. And, the keyboard functioning is not as good with the BTStack module as it is with the iPads native stack.

There is the alternative of having the MackBook Air (think that's what has been mentioned here), but for me, I already have the iPad, I love it, and I'm going to make the best of it. I could afford to purchase a MacBook, but it's just silly to have so many ditties that only get used part of the time.

So there's a view from another perspective, which might help some. Good luck deciding what to do.

Last edited:

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny, I had a WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF written in my previous reply, but to me, that reply is just completely blank. Anyone else see anything?? When I do an "EDIT" on the post, it's all there.

I'd hate to have it lost - for whatever reason - and don't have the ambition right now to recreate it.

Fooey!!!

(( EDIT )) Ok, viewing the thread on a webpage shows all I wrote above. It's just through the Ipad Forums App, that it doesn't show up. That has happened to me before this also. I feel better now.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions