What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.iPad keeps turning offf

clw1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll be in the middle of anything on my iPad 1, but all of a sudden it just turns off. I'll turn it back on and most fatten it picks up where it left off. Is this common? Is there something I can do to stop this from happening?

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi and welcome. Where have you set your auto-lock? Go to settings>auto-lock and choose a longer time.

OP
C

clw1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My auto-lock is set for 5 minutes. The thing is, I can actually be using the iPad and it turns off. I can be in the middle of anything, and all of a sudden my iPad turns off.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I feel this could be related to ram or more to the point a lack of ram. An ipad1 has 256mb of ram compared to an ipad2 with 512mb. Closing all your apps completely and deleting your History and Cookies for Safari are the first steps to take. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press an app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly. Press the home button to return to your screen.
Go to Settings - Safari and clear History and Cookies and Data.

I would also suggest a Restart. Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. Let us know how you go.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Barmy Bass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your help, Leelai. I had already restarted my ipad a couple of times - although it does it itself each time it shut down - and closed the apps on the taskbar.
I deleted cookies and history, as you suggested, and things went well. I watched my tv programme for longer! Unfortunately, apps are still not staying open or allowing me to update.
Thanks anyway
:eek:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help, Leelai. I had already restarted my ipad a couple of times - although it does it itself each time it shut down - and closed the apps on the taskbar.
I deleted cookies and history, as you suggested, and things went well. I watched my tv programme for longer! Unfortunately, apps are still not staying open or allowing me to update.
Thanks anyway :eek:

An iPad 1 is really going to struggle now to keep up with the advances in technology. This iPad has now stopped receiving upgrades and the highest OS will be 5.1.1, any apps that can't be updated now are because the newer updates will only operate on a higher OS. Your apps should be fine as they are though to run on your OS without updating. Some new apps will also still be able to be downloaded as long as they can run on this system. You can check what it 'Requires' when looking at any new apps.

As I said in an earlier post its all about the Ram that this iPad has which is now limiting it. As well as what I mentioned earlier about closing apps and deleting your history and cookies, you can also turn off Location Services to save more ram, just limit this to the app you're using now. Close an app completely once you are finished using it before going on to another and you will have fewer crashes.

A reset is a good idea also occasionally.
Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Good luck!

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I notice you mention the iPad 2 has 512 Mb of RAM compared to the 256 Mb in the iPad 1. Has the RAM been increased in the 3 and 4 models as well?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I notice you mention the iPad 2 has 512 Mb of RAM compared to the 256 Mb in the iPad 1. Has the RAM been increased in the 3 and 4 models as well?

While Apple has never officially said what the RAM is for any of their iPads, tear-downs by various tech sites have shown the iPad 3 and 4 to have 1GB of RAM. So, yes, it's increased. :)

Marilyn

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today for no reason I can think of other than the shortage of RAM in the iPad 1, mine kept shutting down completely (the Apple symbol) and then restarting. I tried a suggestion offered in this forum of holding down both the home button and the switch on the top right to no avail. I decided I'd better do a quick backup to my MacBook Pro but could not complete the process because the iPad kept shutting off. Finally out of frustration I decided to do a Restore procedure and then backup hoping hat I had a reasonable backup available. It didn't help that my network Extender started acting up at this stage. I even had to go through the Restore process a couple times because the Pad was still shutting down. Finally it stabilized, and I got the process done although it took a while to download 74 Apps along with close to 200 books.

The main loss was bookmarks. I have redone the more important bookmarks but will just acquire the others when I need them. I've had to request a few forgotten passwords because I had neglected to record them.

Bottom line for me on this experience is that I may very soon pick up a new iPad 4. Based on what I've read on this forum, I'm guessing I'm pushing my luck with the number of Apps I have...four pages with the original iPad. thought I would post in this thread because it seemed similar to the original poster's troubles.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today for no reason I can think of other than the shortage of RAM in the iPad 1, mine kept shutting down completely (the Apple symbol) and then restarting. I tried a suggestion offered in this forum of holding down both the home button and the switch on the top right to no avail. I decided I'd better do a quick backup to my MacBook Pro but could not complete the process because the iPad kept shutting off. Finally out of frustration I decided to do a Restore procedure and then backup hoping hat I had a reasonable backup available. It didn't help that my network Extender started acting up at this stage. I even had to go through the Restore process a couple times because the Pad was still shutting down. Finally it stabilized, and I got the process done although it took a while to download 74 Apps along with close to 200 books.

The main loss was bookmarks. I have redone the more important bookmarks but will just acquire the others when I need them. I've had to request a few forgotten passwords because I had neglected to record them.

Bottom line for me on this experience is that I may very soon pick up a new iPad 4. Based on what I've read on this forum, I'm guessing I'm pushing my luck with the number of Apps I have...four pages with the original iPad. thought I would post in this thread because it seemed similar to the original poster's troubles.

Did you clear your History and Cookies as well? This will clear up more ram also, Settings - Safari - Clear History and Cookies and Data. A reset would have closed the apps that you had opened completely, although they will remain in your multitask bar until removed from here. Turn off Locations services also and limit this until you need to use it.

Yes a new iPad would be the way to go but the iPad 1 could still be very useful to you as a backup for less ram intensive tasks.

If you can hold out another few months we may see the ipad5 launch September/October. I say may, nobody but Apple know for sure, but I'm hoping to get one too..

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I did neither of those things in Safari preferences. However, seems to me I did clear the cookies once before and lost all my automatic logon stuff for the various forums I read. Not real handy.

Good tip on waiting for a possible iPad 5 though. Right now this iPad seems rejuvenated, almost like reinstalling system software on the old Macs I used to use. I'll probably wait a bit to seem what hints Apple throws out this summer.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I did neither of those things in Safari preferences. However, seems to me I did clear the cookies once before and lost all my automatic logon stuff for the various forums I read. Not real handy.

Good tip on waiting for a possible iPad 5 though. Right now this iPad seems rejuvenated, almost like reinstalling system software on the old Macs I used to use. I'll probably wait a bit to seem what hints Apple throws out this summer.

Yes, it will delete your saved logins also. I know from experience this is a pain.

Doing that reset would have closed all your apps completely and this probably accounts for the feeling of rejuvenation. ;)

Lets hope that iPad 5 does get released then! ;)

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the process of doing the full restore I also realized I'd been in error regarding the loading of Apps. When I did a double click with the Home button to show which Apps had loaded, I was overwhelmed by the sheer job it would be to unload them, not realizing that they were loading because I had at one time launched them to see what they were. After the Restore only a few came up and I saw how easy it was to control these memory hogs by deactivating them. thanks for those tips.

I also deleted a few Apps I never use although I suppose iTunes will tell me I own them forever. Right now my old iPad 1 is looking good.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the process of doing the full restore I also realized I'd been in error regarding the loading of Apps. When I did a double click with the Home button to show which Apps had loaded, I was overwhelmed by the sheer job it would be to unload them, not realizing that they were loading because I had at one time launched them to see what they were. After the Restore only a few came up and I saw how easy it was to control these memory hogs by deactivating them. thanks for those tips.

I also deleted a few Apps I never use although I suppose iTunes will tell me I own them forever. Right now my old iPad 1 is looking good.

It doesn't take that much time to close those apps completely, I'm always surprised how many I can open in a day! They are not actually running but do use some ram just by being there.

Yes any deleted apps will show up under the Purchased tab in the App Store and can be downloaded again at any time for free. I do this myself just to free up more space.

Most reactions

Latest posts