What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad keeps downloading unknown stuff

IceBird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a problem with my sister's Ipad it keeps on downloading data although that my sister isn't using websites like youtube and she isn't downloading things manually and I'm pretty sure that I have closed all possible automatic download settings like automatic downloads on ITunes & App store tab and storage & backup on iCloud but it still continue to download unknown stuffs and this is causing my internet to almost shut down cause I have a limited bandwidth -.-

This problem been for quite some time but I noticed yesterday by going to my routers webpage and watched it's usage it downloaded about 650mb and today it downloaded 608mb and this has shocked me..

Please help what can I do to stop this or at least to know what's being downloaded ??

Thanks,

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know where this data is ending up on the iPad? You can go to Settings>General>Background App Refresh and turn it off. This will stop any apps from downloading data in the background. If that doesn't work, here's another test you can run. Backup the iPad then restore it and set it up as a new iPad. If the problem persists, it's not the fault of any optional installed apps. After the test you can restore the iPad and set it up from your backup.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many routers allow you to log the IP numbers of the remote systems that your local network is communicating with. If you can do this, you'll be able to see who the iPad is talking to. (You can resolve the IP number to its owner using Whois IANA — WHOIS Service )

Another thing you might try is open Settings and go to 'Storage & iCloud Usage'. There you can select 'Manage Storage' Wait a few seconds and you'll see a list of all the apps and how much memory they're using. Check it over a couple of days and if an app is downloading 600 Mb per day, it will be huge or it will be growing day by day..

OP
I

IceBird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know where this data is ending up on the iPad? You can go to Settings>General>Background App Refresh and turn it off. This will stop any apps from downloading data in the background. If that doesn't work, here's another test you can run. Backup the iPad then restore it and set it up as a new iPad. If the problem persists, it's not the fault of any optional installed apps. After the test you can restore the iPad and set it up from your backup.

Sorry I forgot to say that I did turn off Background App Refresh too... And about the backing up and restore is it done by enabling iCloud backup at storage & backup? and can I back it with iTunes instead of using the internet?

OP
I

IceBird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many routers allow you to log the IP numbers of the remote systems that your local network is communicating with. If you can do this, you'll be able to see who the iPad is talking to. (You can resolve the IP number to its owner using Whois IANA — WHOIS Service )

Another thing you might try is open Settings and go to 'Storage & iCloud Usage'. There you can select 'Manage Storage' Wait a few seconds and you'll see a list of all the apps and how much memory they're using. Check it over a couple of days and if an app is downloading 600 Mb per day, it will be huge or it will be growing day by day..

I'm trying to use 'IANA — WHOIS Service' but I don't know how to.. But my router's webpage can only show the IP's of the connected devices and how much they used since the router was on and how much they're currently using.. Although those IPs keep changing but I can confirm it to which device by disabling wifi to other devices and use the internet on the wanted device and watch which IP is using the internet..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to say that I did turn off Background App Refresh too... And about the backing up and restore is it done by enabling iCloud backup at storage & backup? and can I back it with iTunes instead of using the internet?
You can backup either way but restoring from a backup tends to be faster with an iTunes backup. Even with an iTunes backup, restoring from that backup requires an internet connection as the operating system is downloaded from Apple servers.

Most reactions

Latest posts