What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad is not recognized by ANYTHING...

r_p_smith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

My newly acquired ipad 1st generation is currently in a bricked state, due to what I suspect was a jailbreak gone wrong. I am very familiar with jailbreaking other idevices (iPhones,iPods,etc...) and have never encountered one which I was unable to restore...until now.

My issue is as follows:

-The iPad is indicating that the battery is dead, once plugged into my Macbook Pro it eventually initializes into the apple logo screen where it hangs indefinitely.
-When I attempt to put the device in DFU mode by holding the sleep and home buttons for 3/10/15 seconds, it goes to the familiar black screen, but neither Redsn0w or iTunes recognizes the device.
-I have tried several (dozens actually) different DFU timing/button combinations to no avail...
- When I hold sleep/home until the apple screen comes up, and then release sleep, I get to the "connect to iTunes" screen, but again it isn't recognized in iTunes, Recboot, Tiny Umbrella, etc...
-After several attempts I eventually get the Dead Battery/Charging icon pop up, and I have to wait till the device boots up to the apple logo once again.
-The charging port appears to be in good shape, and the fact that the iPad responds when connected tells me that the hardware is functioning on at least some level.

I have read similar posts on here from other people with the issue, but there seems to be no clear cut solution.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After reading your post, you are doing DFU mode wrong.

But first, plug the iPad into the wall charger and let it sit overnight to make sure it has a full battery.

So, DFU mode:
Plug iPad directly into the computer, no USB hubs, keyboards, and such. Directly to the USB ports on the motherboard.
1. Doesn't matter what is on the screen. Press and hold power and home for 10 seconds. I reccomend using a clock because the iPad does seem to be very picky about timing.
2. After 10 seconds release the power button but KEEP HOLDING the home button until your iTunes pops up and detects a device in restore mode.

Here is the deal though, I don't know what version you are on, but keep in mind that restoring with iTunes will update the device to 5.0.1, which ruins your chance of an untethered jailbreak. But I don't know if you have your blobs saved for 5.0 because there seems to still be a way to downgrade to 5.0. 5.0.1 is still jailbreakable, just tethered.

OP
R

r_p_smith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Greywolf,

To date I have not only used the timer provided in the redsn0w app, which is the same as what you're suggesting except for the KEEP HOLDING part, but I have also used a stopwatch, and tried various different timing combinations as suggested by other users on this, and other forums. I have tried holding the home button at the end of the sequence for as long as 5 minutes(!) but this still doesn't work. I have put countless other devices (including iPads) into DFU mode very easily in the past, so I'm thinking this problem goes beyond initiating DFU mode.

The fact that I can put the device into restore mode with the "connect to iTunes" display, yet the device is still not recognized is the most troubling part of the equation. At this point I'm beginning to believe that the device is actually being put in both "restore" and "DFU" modes successfully, however because it's not being recognized by the Macbook (or any other computer I've tried) the restore/tethered boot process cannot take place. I should add that I've tried three different cables as well, all of which work fine on my other devices...

Thanks

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Greywolf,

To date I have not only used the timer provided in the redsn0w app, which is the same as what you're suggesting except for the KEEP HOLDING part, but I have also used a stopwatch, and tried various different timing combinations as suggested by other users on this, and other forums. I have tried holding the home button at the end of the sequence for as long as 5 minutes(!) but this still doesn't work. I have put countless other devices (including iPads) into DFU mode very easily in the past, so I'm thinking this problem goes beyond initiating DFU mode.

The fact that I can put the device into restore mode with the "connect to iTunes" display, yet the device is still not recognized is the most troubling part of the equation. At this point I'm beginning to believe that the device is actually being put in both "restore" and "DFU" modes successfully, however because it's not being recognized by the Macbook (or any other computer I've tried) the restore/tethered boot process cannot take place. I should add that I've tried three different cables as well, all of which work fine on my other devices...

Thanks

So maybe the dock connector is shot? Have you ever gotten any dirt in there or dust?
Try cleaning it out.

And also, it is impossible to brick an iPad so please don't worry about that! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And for goodness sake connect it to the official charger and get the battery fully charged. If you are in a situation that you are regularly seeing the "batter exhausted" screen then you will never know for sure whether the device is on properly or not. FULLY charge the battery, then get it into DFU mode.

Also, what desktop OS are you on?

tylerw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the exact same issue! My iPad 1 was running 4.3.5. I decided to upgrade to iOS 5. I connected the iPad to my MacBook Pro and it didn't show up as a device in iTunes. No problem, I thought, I'll just restore to factory settings and try again. So I chose "Reset All Settings" under Settings -> General. After getting the "Connect to iTunes" screen I attempted connecting to the computer again. Nothing. I rebooted. Nothing. I tried connecting to a PC instead of a Mac. Nothing. I took it to a Genius at the Apple Store and he couldn't connect it. Since this is slightly out of warranty, he offered to sell me a replacement iPad 1 for $400 (couldn't even negotiate for an iPad 2!). I've put it into DFU mode. Nothing. I've exited DFU mode and I'm back to "Connect to iTunes". Still nothing. I've cleaned the pins. Interestingly, the iPad will charge with the power adapter. Someone said earlier that you can't brick an iPad. I think I've bricked an iPad. Anyone up for solving this challenge?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
tylerw said:
I have the exact same issue! My iPad 1 was running 4.3.5. I decided to upgrade to iOS 5. I connected the iPad to my MacBook Pro and it didn't show up as a device in iTunes. No problem, I thought, I'll just restore to factory settings and try again. So I chose "Reset All Settings" under Settings -> General. After getting the "Connect to iTunes" screen I attempted connecting to the computer again. Nothing. I rebooted. Nothing. I tried connecting to a PC instead of a Mac. Nothing. I took it to a Genius at the Apple Store and he couldn't connect it. Since this is slightly out of warranty, he offered to sell me a replacement iPad 1 for $400 (couldn't even negotiate for an iPad 2!). I've put it into DFU mode. Nothing. I've exited DFU mode and I'm back to "Connect to iTunes". Still nothing. I've cleaned the pins. Interestingly, the iPad will charge with the power adapter. Someone said earlier that you can't brick an iPad. I think I've bricked an iPad. Anyone up for solving this challenge?

You have a broken dock connector. There are 30 pins in the dock connector. It only takes one of them to be bent to prevent the device being able to communicate with the PC, but of course only a few of them are involved in charging the device, hence the reason that still works. There is no way to fix it other than to replace the hardware which is at fault. Since the dock connector is not really user serviceable, you are out of options, sorry.

To clarify for the record, you cannot brick an iPad through jailbreaking and specifically WITH SOFTWARE!
If the hardware itself is damaged then all bets are off.

Also, for others, you should NEVER use the "reset all content and settings" option as a first attempt for a solution to connectivity issues. :(

Sorry we can't be of any more help, but you definitely have a hardware issue from what you have described.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently suffered terrible issues with a free iPad 1. I did my research and I arrived here for a few corrections and plenty of help. After a hard-fought battle, the iPad is up and running. No matter what i did, it to it, nothing worked. I was not out anything with the device, but solving the problem became a quest and I simply had to win the battle. Sometimes, things just refuse to work like they should and no matter what you do, nothing works. Then you take a step back and try again and things go great.

I am still astounded that you do not need to power off the iPad before putting it into DFU. Thanks again, f4780.

I am coming to this thread after a nice breakfast and curiously successful meeting, and from my cursory glances at the replies, you are well covered as far as advice goes. Graywolf and f4780 knows their stuff. Do read the 'how-to' guides at the top of this part of IPF. Take a break, play with the dog, and come at it fresh. I am waiting for the coffee to finish brewing and for me, that is a vital part of any troubleshooting effort. Caffeine helps me, perhaps it will help you.:p

I suggest checking your computer's USB ports. Indeed, it could be a flaky connector as has been pointed out already. I tend to agree, it might be. Yesterday I updated an iPod and had lots of issues. Then I discovered my cable was not plugged in. So always check you cables even if you think things are fine.

Graywolf mentioned the dock connector. I personally worry about that because it is always being stressed. Be very careful if you try to clean it, however. Lots of tiny pins that if damaged, can render your iPad useless untill repaired. Visit Radio Shack or some other place and purchase a can of aerosol contact cleaner. 3M makes a good one specifically for cleaning sensitive connectors. Sometimes all it takes is a few specks of dust to render a connector/cable useless.

I recently discovered a bad USB port in my laptop. It works well with some device cables/connectors, but not at all well with the stock iPad cable. Not dirty, just a loose fitting connector. If I move the cable, my iPad sync fails. One would think it is a bad cable; in my case, it is a bad connector on the laptop. Perhaps you need to check that out. I once had a problem with Windows and it turns out, something--probably Bob Maxey--disabled something. USB simply did not work.

Unfortunately, if it is a bad connector, it is off to the Apple Store. Your device might charge OK, but that does not mean the port is good. I do not know much about the cable or connector other than it is proprietary. I have seen the pin-out diagrams/assignments, but that's about all. You said you plugged your iPad into your computer. If I do it, my nearly exhausted iPad will come alive but it does not charge. Your Mac might allow charging, however. You really need a full charge.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Neither MAC nor PC do not charge iPAD properly - USB specification do not allow enough current. When I've upgraded then restored then JB'ed my iPAD it reported the charge actually grew from 60% to full, but the next day I had issue with battery - it drained too fast - 5% in 6 hours of standby in airplane mode. After normal charge everything normalized.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
andrewak said:
Neither MAC nor PC do not charge iPAD properly - USB specification do not allow enough current. When I've upgraded then restored then JB'ed my iPAD it reported the charge actually grew from 60% to full, but the next day I had issue with battery - it drained too fast - 5% in 6 hours of standby in airplane mode. After normal charge everything normalized.

I must disagree with that blanked statement. New MAC hardware, certainly my MacBookPro 13, is perfectly capable of charging the device from the USB port without an adverse effect on the battery performance on both my iPads. Older PC hardware is certainly a problem for the reason you stated, but this is already widely recognised. It is not accurate to say that neither Mac's or PC's can charge properly.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I must disagree with that blanked statement. New MAC hardware, certainly my MacBookPro 13, is perfectly capable of charging the device from the USB port without an adverse effect on the battery performance on both my iPads. Older PC hardware is certainly a problem for the reason you stated, but this is already widely recognised. It is not accurate to say that neither Mac's or PC's can charge properly.

Thank You for this info. Yes, one port of some of apple computers and displays can provide 1100mA, but only for a first plugged in device, full article here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4049
As I know it's enough for iPhone but not enough for iPad really charging while working - iPad full consumption is 960mA and charge current is 1600 mA

Thank you ones more for this correction.

gorozas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
did you solve the problem, because it just happen the same with my one and I don´t know how to fix it, I had a brick ipad!
help!

Forsaken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Let me offer you my own solution :)
But story first. I living in Ukraine and there is no official AppStore, so I had purchased my first ipad (1st gen) in US two years ago. I had enjoyed it for three days and then I got exactly the same problem as your, no charge icon, not recognized by mac, PC, itunes...
So I went to AppStore and they replaced ipad with new device. I had used it for about a year and then... the same problem. I was very angry and disappointed. I have tried all possible solutions: different cables (I also have iphone, and iphone 4), DFU mode, different computers (PC and Mac), etc.
As I mentioned above there is no AppStore in Ukraine so have paid 200$ for replacement "Charger Flat Cable". It fixed the problem for some time. But 6 months later the same issue has appeared again.
I decided to leave ipad, I didn't want to spent money again. My wife used ipad for web. But some months later I was very wondered because I noticed that ipad displayed charging icon when connected to wall charger. I have connected it to my mac and it was ok, itunes has recognized it. I was impressed. Next day ipad was not recognized by itunes. I thought what the...?

I have started to swith on/off ipad to cable many times and I have discovered that if push 30 pin connector with some angle then ipad has been connected, also if switch on cable, put ipad on the table (face up) and pick up ipad through the cable (by holding cable only) then charging icon appears for a moment. So cause of this problem is bad connection.
Solution:
I did next thing: arched up 4 connectors (marked with red on picture) 2 on the top side and 2 on the bottom side. You should arch it up on 1mm, no more. That helped me.
30-pin-fix.jpg
If somebody will try this method, then please reply in this thread. Good luck ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions