What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad + iRig OR iPad and Behringer Eurorack UB802

Dogband

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Objective, use iPad to record videos of my buddies and our acoustic instruments with reasonably high quality audio. I also want to input a mix board blend to do this.

I see an iRig that allows one to input a single XLR mic into an iPad. It looks to just be a cable adapter and a small preamp.

Could I not do the same thing with my little Behringer mix board with cable adapters? I do not know enough about electronics to be sure that this would not blow up my wife's iPad. Not good.

If yes, would I use the outputs of the headphone, control room, or main outputs? Obviously I should start with the lowest volume level possible.

With this setup I could send a mix of two microphones to the iPad. And I have a behringer board that accepts 4 XLR microphones, so I guess if the smaller board is ok, that this would be also. I have so much crap that I never use, that I am reluctant to even buy a $30 iRig if I could just use existing equipment. Many thanks, my knowledge in this area is obviously limited.

Duffman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First...if you have a camera kit I would try connecting the mixer to your iPad via the USB out on the mixer using the camera kit. Connect the Cam kit and USB port on the mixer to the iPad, boot up the iPad, then turn on the mixer. See if the iPad recognizes your mixer...if so you are good to go. You will be able to record the output of the mixer as 1 stereo channel or 2 mono channels.
The other nice thing about the above setup, you can plugin an 1/8" stereo adaptor into the iPAd headphones out and run that back to your mixer on the stereo return lines! You can play it back through your PA speakers.

If the USB option don't work then you will need an audio adaptor. Probably the easiest to find will be 1/4" male TRS(stereo) to 1/8" TRS stereo. I would use that in the control room out of the mixer. You can control the input gain to the iPad via the Control Room volume knob on the mixer. That leaves the mixer main outputs as a feed for a headphones amp for the person running the recording.

Duff

OP
D

Dogband

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for advice, I still want to find someone who has done this before I give it a try. I do not have a camera kit.

Most reactions

Latest posts