What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad internet

marcus8789

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, I'm new to this forum and to Ipad's. I was given one for a birthday present and my question is,

-Is it possible to jailbreak/hack an Ipad and receive free internet?

I understand that you can tether and or create a mobile hot spot from a cell phone for an ipad. But is there a way to get 100% free 3G/4G??

thanks

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
only way would be to have someone else pay the bill for you.

just like there is no 100% free cellphone service (besides the government issued service for the poor) there is no way to get free cellular data on the iPad for free.

OP
M

marcus8789

iPF Noob
Reaction score
damn.....I only ask because I rooted my Android smartphone and I have free mobile hotspot and other free stuff. I was just curious. It'd be nice if that was possible lol

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have free mobile hotspot then you can run your iPad over your androids wifi. I run CM7 on my android and use my phone as a mobile hotspot all the time. I've been on vacation and have been using my iPad all week via my phone. All you have to do is turn on your hotspot then connect to your phone through the wifi setting on your iPad. I would password protect your android connection though. Not sure if this is what you meant but I hope it helps.

OP
M

marcus8789

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^ yeah I do that with my laptop and my xbox 360. Surprisingly, I can connect to xbox live and have absolutely no lag.....but it uses a ton of data when I use my xbox to watch Netflix (around 1G per movie and around 200mb for 3-4 hours on xbox live). I'm grandfathered in and have the unlimited plan so Im not worried. I'm just looking for an alternate means for internet for the ipad 

OP
M

marcus8789

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If its not possible to get free internet on a ipad, is it possible to still get the unlimited feature on one through Verizon? I'm grandfathered in as far as smart phones go, so that that mean I can get unlimited internet on a ipad or tablet?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a mobile hotspot, the iPad will be able to get internet and other services through that. If you have a Verizon 4G service on an iPad, it will act as a hotspot at no additional charge. If you have an unlimited data plan on a smartphone, it will not transfer to an iPad. And while they allow the iPad to have free tetheing, they will charge for using the smartphone to tether. Only a very small number of people have unlimited data plans. They are among the first iPad buyers who started their unlimited service within the first two months of the introduction, and managed to keep it for the past two years.

If you have unlimited on your smartphone, it would be more practical to tetheryour iPad to it.

Marionrhonda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
If you have a mobile hotspot, the iPad will be able to get internet and other services through that. If you have a Verizon 4G service on an iPad, it will act as a hotspot at no additional charge. If you have an unlimited data plan on a smartphone, it will not transfer to an iPad. And while they allow the iPad to have free tetheing, they will charge for using the smartphone to tether. Only a very small number of people have unlimited data plans. They are among the first iPad buyers who started their unlimited service within the first two months of the introduction, and managed to keep it for the past two years.

If you have unlimited on your smartphone, it would be more practical to tetheryour iPad to it.

how do i tether wifi from my Samsung galaxy with unlimited data plan to my iPad 2?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marionrhonda said:
how do i tether wifi from my Samsung galaxy with unlimited data plan to my iPad 2?

If your galaxy has the personal hotspot feature, all you have to do is turn it on and your iPad should be able to detect the wifi signal. Once detected, you sign in and the data used by your iPad will count towards the data plan on your galaxy. As it is unlimited, you have nothing to worry about.

Most reactions

Latest posts