What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad in HealthCare

jes1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I would like to hear from those of you in the healthcare field. How are you using your iPad? Which Apps do you find the best?

To get the ball rolling, I use:

Wunderlist- for a To Do list. Love the push notifications
Medscape- Drug interactions, drug info
Qx Calculate- medical calculators
NoteShelf- to write on my iPad during meetings/ conferences
PDF expert- to read/edit/ add comments to PDF files
iCal- for calendar

Any favorite apps? Better choices to the above list?

jumpman023

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use it for multiple things. I use epocrates for general stuff, especially drug interactions, and am still looking for a good anatomy program-for clearer explanations for patients. Just like they say, a pic is worth a thousand words!

Marabou Muddler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use:

Todo for a task list
Goodreader b/c I can write on PDF files and it opens zip files
Medscape
WebMD - I like the quick rx info better than epocrates
DocsToGo
Nook and Kindle for iPad for the reference books that are in ebook format
Penultimate to quickly jot down messages that I have to return right away - I can scribble them w/ my finger

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yay! So glad I'm seeing a thread like this! We should also include our professions in the medical field.

My profession: Currently an LPN, working in LTC and going to school for my ADN to become an RN. I hope to at least achieve my BSN.

My medical apps:
Skyscape - great drug references and updates and medical calculators
Micromedex - great drug reference tool
IV Drugs - for IV drugs (obviously)
Lexi-Complete - specialized drugs for peds, geriatric, etc. Expensive! Luckily, someone gifted me this app!
LabTests+
I also have a drug guide and lab reference guide on my phone as well.

My school apps:
All of the above AND
Papers
Flashcards
iFile + Safari Download Manager = great for downloading school files off the website
ReaddleDocs - read my documents after I download them
Office To PDF - when I need to convert a ppt to PDF for UPAD
iStudiez Pro - keep track of due dates
Dropbox - access my files on my computer
Pages - if I need to whip up a document
NurseTabs - Pharmacology - handy reference tool
NurseTabs - Med/Surg - great for easy access in clinical
CourseSmart - I bought eTextbooks of just my heaviest books (especially med/surg) so I don't have to lug them around all over
UPAD - for notes
AudioMemos - to record lectures

Those are mine! I'm sure I'll get more...I have an app addiction. My apps take up more space than anything else...

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use it for multiple things. I use epocrates for general stuff, especially drug interactions, and am still looking for a good anatomy program-for clearer explanations for patients. Just like they say, a pic is worth a thousand words!

They have one by McGraw-Hill (I think) called Color Atlas or something like that. It's pricey, but it's like an encyclopedia of the more well-known diseases with full color photos of real people. A friend has it...it's pretty cool but expensive. It's also written in layman's terms - not professional terms - so anyone could read it and understand.

OP
jes1me

jes1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marabou Muddler said:
This website has reviews for medical apps:

iPad

Thanks MM, I like the website you provided, good reviews on med apps.

OP
jes1me

jes1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use my iPad to access our hospital computer system, Cerner. It works reasonably well, sometimes a little slow. Anyone using a EMR on their iPad? Which one and how well does it work?

TraumaBoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good thread topic. I would like to know dicom viewer or similar to look at imaging and also to manipulate it similar to your hospitals PACS system. I think an ipad would be a great X-ray CT viewer.

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to the news they use it for the chat program during surgery!!!!

eternal_loyal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am new at these ipad stuff i want to buy ipad2 and i thought the apps for ipad is the same for iphone but iam shocked that the cracked apps for ipad is very alittle

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a pharmacist, I've found many uses for the iPad. I have many useful sites bookmarked with links on my home page ( which are all then placed in a medical folder) including the BNF and Data Sheet Compendium, Patient.co.uk, and the GMC and nurses registration pages to check if someone can legally prescribe something. I love the Medscape app. In addition many of the other apps are very useful to have on hand, such as the dictionary and just having rapid access to the internet at work to check something is brilliant.

Most reactions