What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad images won't post to forum...

Ricochetrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, hopefully I'm posting this in the proper location, its an image file question, so.... hopefully the photography pages are the place to be. Anyway, here goes.

First of all, I have an old 2nd or 3rd gen iPad. My iOS, which my device just now told me is up to date (??), is 9.3.5

I have a load of images from my travels in my photo albums. I am a member of a particular classic motorcycle forum, and some of us have been working on trying to figure out how to upload images off our iPads to this specific forum. Allowable file types are:

gif,.GIF,.jpg,.JPG,.txt,.png,.PNG,.pdf,.PDF

(copied from a friend's post so hopefully an accurate & complete list)

This forum allows paid members to upload images in one of two ways: upload using their Image Upload feature, out of a host site by copying an image file URL,
OR
posting directly off your desktop, phone, or tablet (assumably), drawing out of the photos stored within each device.

What we know so far is that

A: all images must fit into size maximums; IE: come in at or below pixel or kb/mb allowances. Typical largest file size allowable IF uploading. out of a photo host site (I use Zenfolio) is 600 X 800.

SO all images typically need to be resized using an outsider app, saved back into the photo album, then plucked in a file search within the forum's Attachment Manager. I've yet to attempt this on my phone, but on my iPad, we get error message saying "file type incompatible", or words to that effect.

I am almost wondering if the forum's server is incompatible with iPad image files!

thanks.
Tom

OP
R

Ricochetrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm. Sorry just tried to edit this and got a message saying it couldn't be posted...

trying to add that many of my image files were uploaded directly to the pad using a card reader, an SD card out of my camera- these images were captured as JPG files, yet still won't post to this forum off the iPad.

Thanks..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using Tapatalk to access the forum and post pictures or do you access the forum website directly?

OP
R

Ricochetrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello scifan57,

Nope, just trying to use their site's attachment manager to post out of iPad. I'll ask the admin if Tapatalk is enabled, these old Brit Bike guys aren't too tech savvy so most probably wouldn't use it anyway...

I'm. beginniing to think it might be some sort of iTunes issue- proprietary image file lock-down thing? DO photos stored in iPad's albums link to iTunes?

Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you’re creating a post in the website version of the forum there’s a button at the bottom of your post that says Upload A File. Tap on it and you have the choice of a photo from your camera roll or you can take a new photo right then. Once the photo has finished uploading, tap on the Full image button to place the photo in your post. Make sure your cursor is located where you want the photo to appear as the photo appears right where the cursor is located.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m not sure what is happening with your site and the file type error. If the images on the camera’s SD card are jpg, then they should import into the iPad as jpg. There is a new native file type for iPhones and iPads running iOS 11 and later, but your iPads should not be using it. If you update to iOS 11, you may want to change the settings in Photos to make sure that imported images retain their original file type. iOS is supposed to automatically export images to jpg, but nothing is Murphy proof.

As for resizing images on the iPad, there are specific apps to do this. However, I don’t know any off the top of my head. Instead, I use the Workflow app. This app lets you create workflows (scripts) that can be invoked in the share sheet. It’s much more flexible than a dedicated app, but does require a bit of learning. If you decide to use it, I’d be happy to share my resizing workflows. I’m sure they can be tweeked to fit your needs.

If Safari refuses to work with your site, you can try the iCab Mobile browser. It has a lot more features. The downside is that those features are not always easy to find, or understand. It’s my broswser of second-to-last resort when dealing with difficult websites. Puffin is my last resort. It runs on a remote server. This is mostly to allow Flash sites to work, but sometimes solves some other plugin and unusual site issues. Because it runs on a remote server, there are some extra privacy considerations.

OP
R

Ricochetrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, so meanwhile back at the ranch... Posting images on forums ain't rocket surgery. I[ve posted many many pix on many forums using host sites or just uploading into their forum using whatever means allowable. I've resized when Ineeded to, dragged n dropped, whatever. Everything. BUT if these are the file types allowed on this one forum:

gif,.GIF,.jpg,.JPG,.txt,.png,.PNG,.pdf,.PDF

and when I use my iPad to post images and out of the photo album using a pic resized in whatever app to fit sizing requirements...only to get a "file type not compatible" error mssg....
What in the heck kind of file does the iPad convert images to in its albums, that don't fit into the file types allowable, as posted above??

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Ricochetrider, if you’re not too sure what the file format is, you could always use the free app “Image File Converter” which I use, which allows you to convert your images to JPEG’s to post to any forums which are a bit ‘picky’ when it comes to file types.

Steve

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge the iPad does not convert imported images, at least not from an SD card. Importing using iTunes (on a computer) is different. It’s possible that iOS 11 might convert images to Apple’s new format (for size and efficientcy), but you’ve already stated that youa re on iOS 9.3.5.

It’s probably something to do with the site. Older sites and older versions of iOS have had several problems. Just because the file format is correct does not mean that the iPad is communicating that info the way the site expects.

To double check on the file type, size, and resolution in Photos you can use the app ViewExif (used as Share extention inside the Photos app)j. I recomend ViewExif, as it shows the actual file name stored in Photos. I also have Metapho, but it does not seem to have been updated to show the new HEIC format used in iOS 11.

FC0A301F-D3C3-4ABD-9F28-85132033E63F.jpeg

Note: HEIC can be disable in the Photos settings (iOS 11 and newer only)

If the site still refuses to accept your uploads, all I can suggest is trying an alternate browsers such as iCab Mobile. This thrid party browser had the upload abiltiy before Safari, so it might work with an older site.

Another side note. The Workflow app I mentioned earlier can also be used to batch convert image file types. Well, common ones anyway.

Most reactions

Latest posts