Ipad Help Please!

Discussion in 'iPad FAQ' started by holo7, Jun 5, 2010.

1. holo7

holo7
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    No reason to be rude. Thanks for the help everyone.

2. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I'm not being rude. I am simply stating that we answered your question but you said no one answered it.

You want to use the device to stream everything from eBooks (which you can't do to the best of my knowledge), to all music, video, and photos, and leave absolutely nothing on the device nor do you seem interested in buying or downloading any apps from the sound of it...

And if that's the case, then it honestly probably isn't for you. It's not like that's an insult, it's just a fact. Some people can use it, some people just aren't meant to.

3. cherhall

cherhall
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I say, give it a try. Even if you use it for a bit, you'll still be able to sell it. I'm a Windows user, but I'm in love with my iPad. It is rarely out of my hands. I too, have a Wii that I rarely ever use, but the iPad is nothing like that. I can't answer your streaming questions, as I've no need for it. But I do know, young or old, everyone who has tried out my iPad, wants one. I use it for everything, my computer sits unused, other than to sync my iPad, or play some Everquest2 :)

4. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Very true!

5. Winawer

Winawer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    As GailLA mentioned, Air Video will do this, but the iPad won't do it out of the box on its own. On the other hand, the iPad won't do too much out of the box on its own anyways: it's really a device which is meant to be extended through apps which utilize its hardware.

You seem to be thinking of the iPad as a Windows netbook, with the idea that you'll just use the iPad to connect to a shared network drive and "copy files". The iPad isn't a netbook or a laptop, though, it's more like a smartphone with much better specs. In particular, the iPad operating system isn't like Windows or Mac OS X in the way it treats files - you don't have a "hard drive" like you're used to, so the idea of just dumping files onto the device is, from the iPad perspective, gibberish. Each app has its own storage space, and each app is responsible for transferring files onto or off-of the device. With the iPad release and the upcoming iOS 4 release, apps are starting to get the ability to move files around between themselves, but this is still fairly new.

More specifically, to answer your question: you transfer files through iTunes (and yes, the dock->usb cable is the cable you use to do this) or some apps can transfer them through WiFi. In general, you'd do better to ask "How can I transfer files to GoodReader?" (GoodReader is a document-viewing app) instead of "How can I transfer files to the iPad?".

I hope that helps. It sounds complicated, but in practice it's very simple; it just requires a mental leap that is hard to get used to when you've been dealing with desktop operating systems exclusively.

6. Winawer

Winawer
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Huh. Just realized that this topic was a little older than I thought, but maybe my typing won't go entirely to waste for other Windows users passing through. :)

7. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    You never know what someone will come across via Google, so it was worth the write up.

8. yelloaeo

yelloaeo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I dont know

9. Coco B

Coco B
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi, like the user above i am also interested in finding out whether or not you can map a drive to the ipad. I recently purchased one and would primarly be using it instead of my laptop that i previously used to log in remotely from home after work hours. I work at a car dealership and use a CRM Software system: dealersocket which allows connectivity between remotely accessing my work email and ultimately checking out the inventory listed on my website as well as other sites. I would greatly appreciate any insight on this subject! Thank you in advance!

10. alextran888

alextran888
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Access ipad file system from desktop explorer

Access ipad file system from desktop explorer. I noticed that iphone explored was not able to detect the ipad when it is connected. I went to cydia and installed afc2add. Guess what? desktop runnning iphone explorer can see ipads files now.