iPad GPS

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Sonny Burnett, May 1, 2010.

1. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    How good of a GPS would the iPad make for your car.

Is it really feasible to use it as one since you are depending on a cell phone signal for accuracy.

Has anyone tried this yet with their 3G iPad?
  2. Edlex

Edlex iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Then the iPad 3G has some type of GPS hardware built into it where the WiFi only doesn't.

Just another reason for them to drop the WiFi only all together.
  4. Edlex

Edlex iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe when they can get a sub $500 price point on the 3G's.
  5. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Better to have both. Some regions don't have 3G, some don't even have basic cell! Other places are too deep underground. But you can set up wifi anywhere. Just sayin'...
  6. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Eventually they will go with 3 WiFi + 3G models and drop the WiFi only all together. Next iteration we should see 32GB 64GB and 128GB. Remember Solid-state drives are getting cheaper and by next year they will be at least 30% less than now. There is also talk that iPad 2.0 will have an OLED screen which will allow Apple to make the device much thinner.
  7. Edlex

Edlex iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well the next iteration should be 4G with 3G backwards compatibility. My concern is the 4G radios will be expensive at first. With all the tethering and portable wifi thats available these days the wifi only may not go away all together. Plus their profit on the wifi only will only get higher as hardware gets cheaper. You'll probably see the lower memory versions go away though and just have one wifi only option.
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  8. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Next iteration should be priced at 399.00 499.00 and 599.00 all with 3G and many more features.
  9. Tucker

Tucker iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The 3G iPad has GPS. If you look at the specs, it shows assisted GPS or A-GPS. Which means a regular GPS chip but with assistance from the cell network in finding the satellites when you first turn the GPS on. Just as accurate as your garmen or tom-tom but with a faster startup time.
  10. rowan

rowan iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is the one point that always gets overlooked (especially during April when so many people bought the WiFi only model):

If you have the 3G model, and you don't subscribe to a data plan, you still have GPS. That's really the huge difference between the two models regardless of whether you opt into a cellular plan or not.
  11. Finnedog

Finnedog iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0

If this is true, then I am a little disapointed about my wifi only iPad, fortunately my wife has started to get hooked so there may be another iPad in the family soon.
  12. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well, yes you will still have GPS, but to use the built in Maps function, you have to have a data stream to download to.

Now if you got a 3G, no data contract, but bought the GPS map software from another company for iPad, that would work. But as is, you cannot really use the GPS for navigation with the stock maps app without 3G to load map datanon the fly.
  13. jim_joh

jim_joh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was disappointed in the gps of my new 3g and then I discovered that copilot for ipad was released today at $30 and the features seemed ok. so I bought it and installed it on the ipad. It contains all maps of USA so they don't have to be downloaded each time you use it. It also have text to voice and the map fits great on the ipad screen. It has all of the gps features' While on the gps subject the map program really spooked me out today. In using the map app. that came installed on the ipad so when I opened it & placed a pin on my home. Well I then held my finger on the pin and a beautifu photo of my home covered the entire screen. How in the heavens name did that happen? I never had a photo on the ipad with my home address to my knowledge. Now that is scary. jim_joh
  14. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Google earth would be my guess.
  15. jim_joh

jim_joh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I should have said it was a street view photo and not a sat photo
  16. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    This is what I was referring to.
  17. Ltapilot

Ltapilot iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I took one of those "getting to know your iPad" classes at the local Apple store. We were playing around with Google maps on our WIFI's and this happened. The little hippie kid next to me just about lost it. Thought he was being spied on.:D
  18. henry2

henry2 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    my oldest son is a Army and he tells me that we had a in 70s when we had in the military is so old it not funny ..he can google earth maps on his phone over in A-stan and look around the area and does it all the time when out on partol ..

he told me a few times that the locals freaked out when they would show them the village and a picture of it on the phone .he and my oldest girl call me from the overseas a couple of times a week ..a few times he told looking over the route they where going to take has saved there bacon a few times ..when he found areas that did not look right on the map and he would use google earth and take and look at them from the diff views ..he would reroute the team down a diff way if he felt it was wrong to take the road or hold up and light a helo come and check out the spot ..
  19. rowan

rowan iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The way you've stated it, yes, that's true. But the GPS capability also allows location aware apps to identify where you are, and you don't need to download maps or subscribe to a data plan for that to happen. Sitting at my desk, running Google Maps shows exactly where I'm sitting on the map using GPS. And my movie times locater for near-by theaters and loopt also use my location without a data plan or built-in maps.
  20. vsstanton

vsstanton iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Another question on gps

So, I got in the car and opened maps and put in my address to get to work and it gave me a small line at the bottom with which street I should go to next and then when I got there I had to hit nextnto get the next direction...it didn't map it orngive me turn bynturn like a normal gps...am I going something wrong. Getting ready to take a road trip through the norrheast and was hoping to rely on the gps...
    Thanks....love my iPad 3G...