What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad gone crazy

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
since the latest update, my IPad 3 has done several very strange things, like when reading it reloads, jumps to different pages, when reading email, it jumps to new areas, etc. Right now,it has locked somehow onto the very large magnification and I cannot use it at all. I tried rebooting, no effect at all, turning it off for 2 min. , no effect. None of the controls work, screen hardly moves with swipes etc, cannot make it reduce size with the normal gestures. I am typing this on a computer because I cannot use my ipad at all. What can I do . Are the i^Pads built to last only two years or is it the update.
doris

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Zoom feature may have been activated somehow. To turn it off, go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Zoom and slide the switch to off. Your display should go back to normal.

Last edited:
OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Zoom feature may have been activated somehow. To turn it off, go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Zoom and slide the switch to off. Your display should go back to normal.
Thank you so much,Scifan57-you are indeed a benevolent genius! It took me nearly an hour to do what you suggested, as the screen wouldn't move sideways or stay in any position if I got it to move.everything in the controls was on the blink. I couldn't access anything, nor even bring up the 'settings' icon, and all the things that moved around the screen were so huge that you couldn't tell what they were. I don't know how it all happened as I didn't even know that zoom control existed .
Thank you again. You saved my sanity!
Doris

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm very glad you finally got your iPad working! Thanks for letting us know. It's always nice to hear about the success stories. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Doris, great that you got your iPad working:) That happenned to me last week and because of that crazily zoomed out screen I couldn't get into the Settings app also. After a lot of fiddling, including three resets, playing with all buttons etc, my iPad got back to normal, somehow. I did what scifan has helpfully suggested and turned Zoom off in Settings once the wallpaper was normal size. That problem hasn't come back since.
Can you recall what you may have done, or did you manage to get into Settings while in that zoomed screen?
I found that a frustrating experience and don't know what I did to this day that brought the screen back to normal size. If you can remember, that may help others with that problem.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually, double tapping with three fingers, or triple clicking the Home button enables or disables this feature, if it's enabled, depending on your settings.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually, double tapping with three fingers, or triple clicking the Home button enables or disables this feature, if it's enabled, depending on your settings.
That looks to be a solution, evident once you can get into Settings.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426829694.324731.jpg

What I should have done is used my noggin and gone to my wife's iPad where that would have been clear. Or read more, to improve memory:) In the meantime I'll keep that dreaded zoom button on OFF!
Andrew

OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That looks to be a solution, evident once you can get into Settings.
View attachment 63449
What I should have done is used my noggin and gone to my wife's iPad where that would have been clear. Or read more, to improve memory:) In the meantime I'll keep that dreaded zoom button on OFF!
Andrew

Yes, huge problem getting 'settings', then trying toget the rest up - everything kept disappearing and only couple of letters would fit on the screen......real scary.

Most reactions

Latest posts