What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad gen 1 30 Gig, Wifi

Fudnock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have it with latest firmware 4.3.1 has been jailbroken sine day 4.3.1 was released. Today I hooked it up to the computer, adn it wouldn't show up in itunes. Figured it was just a need to reboot glitch, so hooked it to my laptop that i just turned on, still nothing. Plug it into the wall charger, and it doesn't act like i'm hooking a dock cable up to it. I have tried two different cables, and verified both of them are good by hooking them to my ipod. Anyone else ever had this problem?

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try using a program called tinyumbrella it may help you. If not you need to look at putting your iPad in DFU mode and doing a restore. Look up DFU mode on google.

OP
F

Fudnock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you rebooted the iPad?
Yes i have rebooted. did a full power off then back on. Looking up tiny umbrella now. If i ahve to go into dfu mode and restore, anyone know a good backup app other than itunes since i can't get into itunes to back it up?

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you last sync'd with iTunes it would have made a backup. So if you have to go down that root, you will be able to restore it to the last time you connected to iTunes. Even if it was jailbroken, so one step at a time.

OP
F

Fudnock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, nothing works, as far as tinyfirmware or anything that i can find anywhere. After talking with apple on the phone i was able to get it to charge via plugging it into the wall. So, I put it into DFU mode and itunes instantly sees it as a ipad needing repaird. My problem is, I only have a restore option. If i right click it gives me Open in new window or eject. There is a backup there, but i can't do restore from backup. Please help this poor noob.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you want to hold the shift key and click restore...then popup window should open to navigate to your restore file.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I am understanding the history of what has happened, it sounds like you let it go dead. I suggest this....

You need to plug it into the wall charger for several hours to get a good charge on it. It MUST be the official wall charger. THEN, and only then, you should be able to soft reset by pressing both home and power buttons together for about 10 second. You should get back to the "connect to iTunes" logo. Connect your iPad to your PC and run TinyUmbrella. Select your iPad and click the "Exit Recovery" button.
Allow the iPad to reboot and it should be OK. You can then connect to iTunes.

That should get you back to your old configuration unless something has gotten really messed up. Let me know how you get on.

It this doesn't work. Get the iPad into DFU mode and your only option is then to connect to iTunes and do a full restore.

OP
F

Fudnock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yah, the more i read, the more i realized that i would need to do a full restore from dfu mode. I need practice Jailbreaking anyways. Sorry, if there was some confusion, the device was not dead.

I had charged it overnight, Monday night. Tuesday morning, I unhooked it, was playing around on it and remembered i had music i wanted to put on it from my pc. Hooked it up, no *bading* usb recognized noise. Tried diff usb port, no love. Grabbed seperate cable, still nadda. Both cables work on same itunes, same computer with ipod touch. Tried rebooting, same problem, Did a 'hard reset' still nothing. Plugged the 10w wall cube thingy into wall, hooked up usb cable to it, and the ipad doesn't show its plugged in.

Contacted Apple, they had me clothes all apps, do a hard reset, then a power down, then hard reset a second time. Since it seemed to me like the guy was pulling at straws i started uninstalling apps one at a time at this point, and by the time we got to his second hard reset when i plugged it into ac power t would charge. Spent yesterday afternoon unistnalling every app and package i had put on it.

Still will not recognize any computer i hooked it up to. The second it entered DFU though, it *bading* usb recognized and itunes popped to the front. Just finished with a factory restore. Only question i have left is this: Once I jailbreak it a second time, can i use that restore file to get it back to how it was?

--

I should know better than to say "just finished factory restore" when in reality the white line under the apple logo was about 3/4 of the way across. Soon as i hit post i get error 14 device could not be restored with a tiraid of things that could be the problem. Looks like I have a fun morning ahead of me.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fudnock said:
I should know better than to say "just finished factory restore" when in reality the white line under the apple logo was about 3/4 of the way across. Soon as i hit post i get error 14 device could not be restored with a tiraid of things that could be the problem. Looks like I have a fun morning ahead of me.

You shoud be able to kick it out of recovery at that stage usung TU...

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had a similar problem with trying to take my iPad 2 back to 4.3.0.

When you run TU it sets the host for the apple server to Saurik's SHSH blob server, unless you specifically uncheck this in the options.

Not sure on your competence with computers so here goes.

First you need to edit your host file:

Saurik's Instructions [Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

You need to put a'#' in front of this bit '74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com' this makes Apple the default server again in your host file. If you run TU again it will default back to Saurik's Server afterwards.
The reason for doing this is that since Apple changed some parts of iTunes in 10.2.1 etc that it keeps failing to do a proper DFU restore.
Now put your iPad into DFU mode and do a restore.

Most reactions

Latest posts