What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Forums Website in Safari - Portrait View Weird?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just replaced my old iPad Air 2 on Monday w/ a 2018 11" iPad Pro - still exploring and setting up the device - iOS is most recent - usually view this forum in a web browser, specifically iOS or Mac Safari - noticed that in 'portrait' view the items in the left column appear weird, i.e. the 'title' is in a narrow column that elongates each entry (first pic below); when I turn the Pro to 'landscape' view, the expected presentation occurs (second pic) - I've search my profile to see if there is a setting to change? No luck, so far - this also occurs on the new iPad using the Chrome browser - there is likely an easy one step solution but I'm scratching my hear at the moment - thanks for any suggestions. Dave :)

P.S. I swear this was not an issue w/ my old iPad but cannot check - sold to Apple and shipped out yesterday hopefully for a decent purchase which will be credited to my credit card.
IMG_4183.PNG
IMG_4184.PNG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No happening in my 12.9. The new 11 inch iPad Pro has a slightly different screen aspect ration from all prior iPads. It might just be that the forum site is having issues with that.

I recomend the usual, clearning the data and catch in Safari settings, and restarting the iPad.

Also, if you dig into the forum’s settings you’ll see that you can revert back to the old purple UI (User Interface) for the site. I still use this, because I just like purple. Switching the UI might work if the previous does not.

I also checked the Apple Watch forum, where I use the newer UI, It looked fine too.

D9650599-FED1-4516-8CFF-5F479C468343.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No happening in my 12.9. The new 11 inch iPad Pro has a slightly different screen aspect ration from all prior iPads. It might just be that the forum site is having issues with that.

I recomend the usual, clearning the data and catch in Safari settings, and restarting the iPad.

Also, if you dig into the forum’s settings you’ll see that you can revert back to the old purple UI (User Interface) for the site. I still use this, because I just like purple. Switching the UI might work if the previous does not.

I also checked the Apple Watch forum, where I use the newer UI, It looked fine too.

View attachment 84360

Hi TP - well, I was hoping not to clear the website data, but did and restarted the new iPad - did not make a difference; next I tried the two themes offered (was on UI:X and switched to SKIN), the latter looked better in 'Portrait' view but prefer UI:X - finally, checked the Apple Watch forum and no difference. All of the other half dozen or so websites that I visit routinely, look the same in portrait view, so suspect the issue is w/ the iPad Forums software and as mentioned, the change in aspect forum of the 11" Pro model.

But not really a major issue - can simply view in landscape mode - I do all of my forum posting and answering using a laptop. Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The site looks the same as yours, Dave, on my iPad Pro 10.5 from 2017. I’ve also tried clearing website data and changing the UI, but it doesn’t make any difference. I prefer using it in landscape mode, so I didn’t notice what it looked like in portrait mode until I’ve read your post.
4DD2320B-FBD5-4A6A-9BCF-DEBF351722EA.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions