What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad forum app missed daylight savings time

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it just mine? Since we set the clocks ahead (for daylight savings), my posts are all showing one hour slow. All other apps and things know what time it is. I've tried logging out & back in, restarting, reset ipad clock again etc. Did I miss a setting or something? (didn't see one any where). Weird...

Posted at ~ 7:20 pm

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it just mine? Since we set the clocks ahead (for daylight savings), my posts are all showing one hour slow. All other apps and things know what time it is. I've tried logging out & back in, restarting, reset ipad clock again etc. Did I miss a setting or something? (didn't see one any where). Weird...

Posted at ~ 7:20 pm

There were some transient problems during the night when the clocks went to DST but it should be OK now. I don't use the app, so I see the time at the bottom of the webpage, where it's displayed as GMT.

Maybe someone else is having this problem?

Tim
Scotland

OP
Jeeper

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, let's try it now (~7:20 pm here again)

Nope, shows posted at 6:18

Sowellca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to reset my iPad2 as well. -6 GMT here and with daylight savings having us an hour ahead, I'm constantly noticing it is an hour ahead. I've reset to the correct time more than twice now. Hopefully the rumored iOS update will fix the issue.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a couple of things that could cause this - I've guess you've checked them but just in case....

'Settings', 'General', 'Date and Time' and see if that's configured correctly.

'Settings', 'Mail, Contact, Calendar', 'Time Zone Support' - again see if it's set up correctly.

Tim
Scotland

Sowellca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just changed "time zone support" to off. The settings description seems to indicate that with it off, time will display correctly for my location. Seems a bit odd, but I'll try it and see. Thanks!

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have evreythng tuned on and set to London time as per settings advised above. Is this right Tim for this weekends time change?
I have assumed all will work perfectly automatically like the pc.
S

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The time zone support is primarily for diary/calendar apps - but other apps use it too.

It's for the situation where you're in, say, LA on business from the UK. OK - they've scheduled a conference call for 5pm UK time which is 9am LA time (well, OK, once all this daylight savings time mismatch is over after this weekend - with the US being on daylight savings now, but the UK not until Sunday.) Your office emailed you the time of the conference call - and they said 5pm. You use the Mail feature to put it in your diary but what time should it put it in at? If you have Time Zone support on and set to LA, then you'll find the entry will go into Calendar at 9am and any alarm will go off at that time. The neat part is that, when you return to the UK and set the Time Zone Support back to the UK, that entry will return to its correct UK time - 5pm - in case, for example, any colleague comes to see you and starts to talk about the conference call "What time was it at?". You check in your iPad's calendar and, hey, it says 5pm....clever stuff.

If you have 3G then the iPad gets its time from the network's server. If you've configured time in the 'Settings', 'General', 'Date and Time' -> automatic this will change automatically on Sunday. Furthermore, like your 'phone, if you take your iPad to the US and have 3G switched on and you are roaming then it will pick up the local time in the US without you having to adjust it.

If you don't have 3G then it uses the WiFi location to determine your position, if it can for this function. If it has Internet connectivity and knows where you are it then uses the Internet's NTP (network time protocol) to find the correct time and then adjusts it for your location.....

All that technology just to get the correct time....

Tim
Scotland

OP
Jeeper

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I turned "time zone support" in "mail, contacts, calendars" OFF. 6:39 pm
Other settings ok

Last edited:
OP
Jeeper

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now back ON. 6:40 pm

Nope, that didn't do it
Oh well, hmmm...

Last edited:

Sowellca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My time is ahead an hour again. Turning time zone support back on and resetting time to correct time again. Will check back in later. Dunno why it can't keep time. I'm definitely not doing any traveling over a few miles. Not crossing any time zones. Should be able to keep time.

Most reactions