What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad format problem

BlackGun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So here is my problem:

I wanted to update my iPad to iOS 6 but it makes error. Then I knew it was from the jailbreak, so I tried to format it from settings, but first it just freezed, then I turn it off then on again then I tried again, same freeze BUT THIS TIME, when I restarted my iPad and slide to unlock, it turned to safe mode. I respringed a lot of times but, same error. So I use safe mode at the moment but I can't use almost all tweaks or just cant modify any. So I know the answer will come with a PC but, I don't have PC at the moment and I remember that this happens in 5.1 and I was having PC but somehow I don't remember I fixed it without PC so please help.

Edit: Uninstalling tweaks and hacks makes no use.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get TinyUmbrella, connect your iPad, untick "Set Host to Cydia". Download the iOS 6 IPSW for your iPad, put your iPad into DFU, go to iTunes, shift+click Restore, select the stock iOS 6 IPSW and wait.

OP
BlackGun

BlackGun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First from where should I get tiny umbrella? Cydia? Safari? Second be a little illustrative if it means what I mean.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if your iPad is jail broken, you must use iTunes and a PC (or Mac) to upgrade to iOS 6. You can't do the over-the-air (OTA) install with a jail broken iPad.

And - there is no other way. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
BlackGun

BlackGun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's ok I just wana get out of safe mode some how so anyway?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To get the iPad out of Safe Mode, just reset it. To do:

Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

That should bring it back to "normal."

Marilyn

OP
BlackGun

BlackGun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice but I don't have PC, remember? So I can't do even a single thing without a PC. Man, I think this is it...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice but I don't have PC, remember? So I can't do even a single thing without a PC. Man, I think this is it...

Having a jailbroken device without access to a PC is not the best idea in the world :(

You cannot ever update or restore a jailbroken iPad without access to a PC, just like you cannot jailbreak and iPad2 or iPad3 it in the first place without one. They are pretty essential.

Your best bet is to borrow someone else's PC for 30 minutes. All they need is the latest iTunes installed. Nothing else. You won't mess up their setup in any way if you follow the guide posted above.

OP
BlackGun

BlackGun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Having a jailbroken device without access to a PC is not the best idea in the world :(

You cannot ever update or restore a jailbroken iPad without access to a PC, just like you cannot jailbreak and iPad2 or iPad3 it in the first place without one. They are pretty essential.

Your best bet is to borrow someone else's PC for 30 minutes. All they need is the latest iTunes installed. Nothing else. You won't mess up their setup in any way if you follow the guide posted above.

I just want to get the hell out of safe mode nothing more.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jailbroken Devices = Trouble Period

End of Rant !!!!

Well nobody is forcing you to jailbreak. If don't think the enhancements jailbreaking provides are of value, then simply don't do it. Use a stock device like the tens of millions of other satisfied iPad owners out there an leave us jailbreakers to it ;)

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just want to get the hell out of safe mode nothing more.

But you stated in your first post, that removing tweaks was not an option either. You can't have it all ways ;)

The only way to get out of safe mode is to find out which tweak is causing the problem and remove it. Usually you do this by removing the last things which were installed / updated via Cydia. If you post the details of the tweak you have installed we will see if we can help identify what the problem might be. OK?

OP
BlackGun

BlackGun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
But you stated in your first post, that removing tweaks was not an option either. You can't have it all ways ;)

The only way to get out of safe mode is to find out which tweak is causing the problem and remove it. Usually you do this by removing the last things which were installed / updated via Cydia. If you post the details of the tweak you have installed we will see if we can help identify what the problem might be. OK?

Actually this isn't because of the tweak but, its that I tried to format my iPad. I don't care of Formating or updating my iPad at the moment now, I just want to go out of this safe mode.

Most reactions

Latest posts