What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad for photographers

BigTex71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It all depends on how much you want to spend and what your needs are. All indications are that eye fi are fussy at best. But, at $40, they are the cheapest and smallest capacity solution. Next up would be Air Stash at around $100 plus the card(s) of your choice. Most expensive is the Hyperdrive at $600 but that also becomes an off camera off lap top storage device.

It all really depends upon what your goals (and budget) dictate.

The new HyperDrive is $99 bare and add your own drive. I am thinking about that after the reviews start coming in on how well it works.

I just saw an article the other day that said the Eye-Fi had been updated so that it could create it's own ad-hock wireless network. Once the iPad joins this network you should be able to use the Eye-Fi app with your iPad to transfer files. You may need the latest firmware update to do this.

The iPad cannot connect to an ad-hoc network. Only a WiFi access point.

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently (last week) bought an Eye-Fi 16gb card (so, it's not limited to 4gb.) It was a horrible setup. Actually, I never did get it working. I'm fairly technical, and this was a nightmare. If you go to their forums, you will see the hundreds of complaints about not even being able to set up an account. I sent it back, bought a regular high speed 16gb card, and the camera connection kit, (those were cheaper, combined, than the Eye-Fi card) and I'm much, much happier!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just saw an article the other day that said the Eye-Fi had been updated so that it could create it's own ad-hock wireless network. Once the iPad joins this network you should be able to use the Eye-Fi app with your iPad to transfer files. You may need the latest firmware update to do this.

The iPad cannot connect to an ad-hoc network. Only a WiFi access point.

I probably should not have called it an Ad-hoc network. At any rate the article describes a way to use the Eye-Fi with the iPad that does not require a third device/router. It's is called direct connect. I'm not sure what kind of network it creates, but obviously one the iPad can connect to.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I probably should not have called it an Ad-hoc network. At any rate the article describes a way to use the Eye-Fi with the iPad that does not require a third device/router. It's is called direct connect. I'm not sure what kind of network it creates, but obviously one the iPad can connect to.

That's what I was describing in my earlier post... and I think the reason you guys are getting confused about what sort of wifi it needs/is able to create, is that my memory of the article (or at least the one I read) said it needed to be jailbroken to allow it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

That's what I was describing in my earlier post... and I think the reason you guys are getting confused about what sort of wifi it needs/is able to create, is that my memory of the article (or at least the one I read) said it needed to be jailbroken to allow it.

No mention of jailbreaking in the article I linked. The new Eye-Fi direct connect feature is fairly recent, added in April of this year, and it's only for the X2 cards. I suspect that there would need to be a firmware update of some sort for anyone who bought their card earlier than that.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
No mention of jailbreaking in the article I linked. The new Eye-Fi direct connect feature is fairly recent, added in April of this year, and it's only for the X2 cards. I suspect that there would need to be a firmware update of some sort for anyone who bought their card earlier than that.

Excellent, that's good to hear.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From reading the literature on Airstash that the connection is unidirectional from the device to the iPad. Is that correct? If that is the case then isn't the Airstash just a wireless camera kit (it acts as a hotspot for the iPad, correct?). Also, if one uses CF cards I do not see an easy way of using it?

Thanks

Edit:

The Airstash has bidirectional WebDav capability for WebDav apps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts