What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad for Business Use (for my boss)

hk1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My boss wants to know if he could possibly benefit from having an iPad for business trips. He'd like something small and light weight so that's the reason we're looking into the iPad. I have to be honest and say that he's a very intelligent person but not overly tech savvy and not likely to invest a lot of time in learning how to run one of these machines. Once he does learn how to do something he usually just sticks with that product/method because he doesn't like to invest a lot of time into learning new technology.

Here's what he wants to use the iPad for:
Exchange Email (he's accustomed to using Outlook)
Remote Access into his Workstation (he uses RDP right now)
Web Browsing
eBook Reader

I don't think he'll be using it at all for music, movies, or social networking.

So I guess my question is, looking at what he wants to do on the iPad, do you think there are ways in which he will benefit from the iPad?

CptChaos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Several things work right of the bat : email and web browsing - something the iPad was made for.

Using iBook (or Stanza or another app) he can read epub books and pdf files, so that is taken care of as well.

You should check out Mocha (Remote Desktop (RDP) for iPhone and iPad - Download Free Lite Version. RDP for easy access to a Windows PC) for his remote access to his "workstation"( assume it is a PC).

I would venture to guess that using an iPad will work and is well suited for those who just wants to get things done without too much hassle (the downside is that there will be limits to how far the performance will go).

otacon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the OPs case I'd look into a netbook. Tablets running Windows are not ready for prime time yet IMO mainly because Windows isn't optimized for a tablet. I have an HP DM1 netbook and it's great for traveling. I still do a lot of things on my iPad2 on the road but for Outlook and VPN stuff I fire up the netbook. I have my work email setup on my ipad though and it works fine. When Microsoft comes out with Windows optimized for a tablet I'll buy one but that's not going to happen until Microsoft comes out with their own tablet.

ercsliberty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use it for work too:
1. Exchange Email (he's accustomed to using Outlook)*** works like a charm with godaddy exchange server
2. Remote Access into his Workstation (he uses RDP right now)***try splashtop, its amazing
3. Web Browsing*** built in browser is great and if flash is needed, use splashtop to log into your desktop and use IE
4.eBook Reader*** planty out there

ipad has A LOT of apps for business

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My boss wants to know if he could possibly benefit from having an iPad for business trips. So I guess my question is, looking at what he wants to do on the iPad, do you think there are ways in which he will benefit from the iPad?

I use the iPad now for all of the above, plus it has the advantage of mobility (portable and long battery life) - so yes.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my ipad2 for everything listed (I use SplashTop etc) but I do agree with the posters saying he might be better off with a netbook. A netbook is a LOT cheaper (I bought an EeePC on sale for work last week with windows 7 pro for $199.00) and that little netbook will easily handle everything the op asked for.

MR1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a netbook and an iPad. I highly recommend the iPad for your boss.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If one of his uses is RDP into his workstation then I think the iPad is the perfect device for him. Any heavy lifting or flash requirements can be met with his workstation remotely using one of the many RDP or equivelant appsand the iPad will deal with everything else just fine.
The only other consideration is how much typing is he likely to be doing e.g. is he mostly reading emails or composing long emails?? If he is doing a lot of typing then he may need to look at a hardware keyboard and if you start going down that route then a lightweight notebook may be a better option.

Last edited:
OP
H

hk1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the conclusion I'm reaching is that my boss is a good candidate for both an iPad and a light-weight laptop. I expect that he will be somewhat disappointed with the email and remote access functionality on the iPad. You don't expect a die-hard Outlook addict to actually like iPad's limited email app, do you? I understand you can only view the last 250 emails. My boss is accustomed to searching 10 gigs of email.

The iPad will work great for new emails that come in, reading eBooks, browsing the web, etc. But when he really wants to get down and work he'll just simply have to dig out a light-weight Windows laptop.

As far as light-weight laptops go, I have my eye on the Toshiba Portege 830. It's not cheap and the whole solution of buying both for sure isn't, but I'm going to try to convince him that this is probably the only way we'll meet all of his needs.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MacBook air?

The iPad will search all of the emails on the server.......it's rather a whizz at that!

The Archangel

OP
H

hk1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you delete and organize emails from the iPad and does it directly affect your Exchange Server account like you'd expect it to? Like can you move emails into folders? If you delete something on the iPad is it deleted on the Exchange Server?

And can you actually search all 10GB of your email from the iPad when you've got it setup with Exchange Server?

Pichon617

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes the iPad is the best choice for your boss. The iPad is the best on the go device out on the market worth very dollar. It also has a ton of apps for the working man. I would recommend the 32g 3G/wifi iPad.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hk1 said:
Can you delete and organize emails from the iPad and does it directly affect your Exchange Server account like you'd expect it to? Like can you move emails into folders? If you delete something on the iPad is it deleted on the Exchange Server?

And can you actually search all 10GB of your email from the iPad when you've got it setup with Exchange Server?

I use MobileMe so not entirely certain about outlook but yes I can search all emails on the server, the emails delete everywhere when I delete them from my iPad and yes I can move emails into folders.........hopefully someone using outlook can confirm that the same is true?

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts