What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad (First generation) issue

DebbieH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! Somehow my iPad got on voice activation mode in the LOCKED mode. Not sure how that happened but it will not let me sign in with my passcode/password...it just repeats my numbers but doesn't enter them. I have not been able to use my iPad for two days. I've done research online and can't find an answer to my issue. Can anyone help me? I've tried holding the HOME button and Sleep/Wake button but nothing happens other then turning iPad off...Thanks for any help! :)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So when you press the home and power for 10 seconds and turn it back on, it is still in the same state?

If so, I think a restore is in your future. :(

Quizzer2093

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
diigtal-nexxus.ca
Try double- tapping the numbers to enter your passcode, sounds like VoiceOver got enabled

Or you could try triple-clicking the home button to turn off VoiceOver

I use VoiceOver all the time, visually impaired user here. And to enter stuff with VoiceOver on you need to double tap

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried Settings, General, Accessibility, Voiceover OFF?

OP
D

DebbieH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:)

Thank you all very much! I appreciate all your suggestions and will give them all a go! Running late for a class so I'll let you know if it worked! (Right, graywolf, I'm locked out so can't get to those settings! But, thanks for the tip emm!) BBL!

OP
D

DebbieH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wheeee!

I'm back in service! Quizzer, your three click worked to take the Voice Activation off! Thank you! Then, I hunted around in the "Tips AND Tricks forum and found this next tip and it worked and everything is fine. As far as I can tell, my iPad is back to normal and I didn't lose anything...here is the tip, which BTW, I had tried before but didn't hold it down for 30 seconds. Gosh, it feels good to have my iPad back. Also, mine is the first generation even though the tip is for Ipad2....

"If your iPad2 really gets frozen, meaning nothing works or it's unresponsive, power down the device. Then hold sleep and home button down for like 30 secs. It will seem like a long time. Then itll reboot to apple logo and hopefully your good again. This is like a really hard reset, a last resort if iPad isn't working ;-)"

Thank everyone for responding. This place is GREAT!!!!! :):):)

Debbie

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where did you get that tip? I think I need to have a word with the writer... :D

A hard reset isn't a last resort, it is usually a first. It doesn't erase anything so it is completely harmless.

OP
D

DebbieH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where did you get that tip? I think I need to have a word with the writer... :D

A hard reset isn't a last resort, it is usually a first. It doesn't erase anything so it is completely harmless.

Oh my! Was it you? :D Well, if you aren't right where I need you!

Yes, I WAS worried it would erase all my valuable "stuff"! Whew! Thanks again!

Most reactions