1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ipad File size Download Limitations over Wifi

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by ComicDom1, Nov 13, 2010.

1. ComicDom1

ComicDom1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have no idea if this has been mentioned or discussed before but yesterday I was at Borders who offers free Wifi for those of us that have ipads.

I am currently building my first Hackintosh so I thought I while I was in the store with my girlfriend, and wif was free, I would attempt to download the Snow Leopard 10.6.5 combo update.

So I clicked on the Safari Browser to get to the apple download site. I attempted to download the file and got a message saying file too big for Safari. So I tried a different browser I had on the ipad. No Joy.

While I really like my ipad(by the way I am really a pc guy) I think the the download restriction is a severe limitation. If you consider that many of us have 64GB ipads and we have a limitation on the file size we can download, it cuts down on the usefulness of the tool. From reading on the net I think I saw a 20MB limit on download size for 3G connections. Maybe someone can confirm this.

If jailbreaking your ipad removes this download limitation then I am all for it.

Jason
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. Machinecolxbox

Machinecolxbox iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My word, wasnt aware of this! if this is true im sure it will be worked around quite quickly seems a bit stupid to pay £400 and then tell you how you can use it!!
  3. Hedonist222

Hedonist222 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you jailbreak as i did you can use 3G unrestrictor. It tells the apps you specify that you are on wifi even though you're really on 3G. This way you can download without a cap. I use this to download apps from the app store th at are more than 20mb.
  4. ComicDom1

ComicDom1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Then I am confused because I was on free wifi at the bookstore when I discovered the limitation. I was not on 3G. I do not have the 3G model.

Jason
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  5. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Without an app or a jailbreak, it's not possible to download anything but pictures. Try GoodReader.