1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ipad external speakers ?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Vettecor, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Vettecor

Vettecor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to a party last weekend and the DJ was controlling the music from his Ipad to LARGE, probably 4 feet high, external speakers. I didn't see any wires going from the Ipad to the speakers.

How is this possible ?

Thanks
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,730 / 0
    More than likely, they were connected to the iPad via Bluetooth.

Marilyn
  3. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +785 / 0
    Well, not sure but there are likely a number of options? Do you know if the music being played was on the iPad and whether Wi-Fi or Bluetooth (BT) was being used as the wireless connection?

As an example, I have a Boston Acoustics soundbar for my HDTV - the soundbar is BT capable, so I can 'pair' my iPad (or my iPod) to the soundbar and them play music on either device to the speaker unit. BT or Wi-Fi options to another electronic device attached to the speakers you heard would be another consideration; if the music was not on the iPad, then there may have been a remote control app which used a 'wireless' connection to control the sound. Hopefully others' will 'chime in' - :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Junior

Junior iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Could also have had an iPod hooked up to powered speakers (or amp) and used a 3rd party app like Tango Remote to control everything from the iPad with no physical wires. But since it uses BT, there's a distance limit.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Vettecor

Vettecor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I talked to him briefly and he said he has over 7,000 songs on his Ipad and he was playing the songs from his Ipad. I was going to ask about how he accomplished this from his Ipad but it was really crowded and noisey and once he started playing songs you could not hear your self think.

The speakers were about 15-20 ft from him and his Ipad.

I am having an outside party next month and really want to play my songs I have on my Ipad and connect to external speakers. I only have about 120 songs on my Ipad and I have some Kenwood speakers that are 5 ft high. Just not sure I can figure all this out by then.

Thanks for the information.
  6. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +785 / 0
    Hi again - not sure what type of amp or receiver powers your speakers, but you need the iPad to 'interact' w/ that stereo unit in some fashion; I'm assuming that a 'wireless' option is not going to be possible. But, if you can set the iPad to play your songs randomly (or in whatever 'playlist' you designed), then you could use a 'wired' solution, i.e. quick, simple, & cheap!

As another example, I have a 'mini-stereo RCA audio adapter' hooked into one of the 'AUX' inputs of my NAD receiver in my den (like the pic below) - when I want to listen to music on my iPod on my 'good' speakers, I just plug it into the mini-stereo plug and am set to go; SO, if you don't need direct control of your iPad, then a potential solution? :)

125509405_stereo-mini-35mm-to-dual-rca-audio-cable-mini-35mm-to-.jpg
  7. Junior

Junior iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Nah, you could hook up and hide some type of iPod/iPhone/iPad on one end (maybe hide it behind the speaker) and run Tango Remote.

Then you have full control over the music from another iOS device. BT range is approx. 30 ft, so if he's 20-25 feet away, sounds like it's what he's done. Check it out in the App Store. I've used it a few times when I'm DJing events. Solid when you need to swap songs on the fly when you head to the bar or while dinner portion.
  8. DefBref

DefBref iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    He could be running an airport express into the amp and using AirPlay.
  9. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +439 / 0
  10. Vettecor

Vettecor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys for all of your replies. Will let you know what set-up I used and how it worked out.
  11. Vettecor

Vettecor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to the link provided but it doesn't say anything about being compatible with an Ipad. Would this simple solution work with an Ipad ? Would I need to purchase anything else to make this work ?

It seems so simple and easy. Whats the downside ?

Thanks
  12. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +439 / 0
    The iPhone, iPod and iPad use the same BT protocols. This should work just like it does for the phone and pod.
  13. MR1

MR1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for this link. I may just pick one of these up. I've been considering a portable battery Bluetooth speaker like the SoundFreaq SoundStep. Anyone have this adapter?
  14. SparkyScott21

SparkyScott21 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +538 / 0
    I know Berinegher, sorry for spelling, sells a speaker that really puts out volume on a iPad.
  15. Vettecor

Vettecor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys wanted to give you an update regarding my external speaker post. I bought a Bluetooth speaker and connected to my Ipad 2. I had my party but the Bluetooth speaker just does NOT have enough volume to play outside with party goers. But the party was great anyway.

I just picked up a used set of 900 MHz wireless speakers. The woman who I bought the speakers from said her husband, who passed away, said he played music from his Ipad to the wireless speakers all the time. She did NOT know how he did this.

Can I hook up these wireless speakers to my Ipad 2 and how do I do that so I can listen to music that is on my Ipad ?

Can I hook up these wireless speakers to my 20 year old Yamaha Receiver so I can listen to CD'S ? How do I connect the speakers to my receiver ?

I got the 2 speakers and a little square box from the woman. I imagine that the box is a transmitter of some kind, correct ?

Thanks for your help.
  16. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,000 / 0
    Hi vettecor-I went ahead and deleted your other post. It was a duplicate of the other and just makes it hard for others to follow when there are multiple threads speaking of the same thing. It's also against forum rules.

Thanks,
    Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator
  17. Vettecor

Vettecor iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, sorry about that.
  18. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,000 / 0
    No worries...all good! :)
  19. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +785 / 0
    Hi again - sorry that the BT speaker option did not work out for you - but still your best choice - you just needed powered BT speakers w/ enough volume; small low power ones meant to be used in a computer room or bedroom just would not have adequate volume.

Now the 900 MHz speakers that you picked up operate like a wireless phone, i.e. a powered transmitter station is needed to send the signals - your music device (e.g. iPad, iPod, or the headphone outlet of a receiver) will need to be plugged into the transmitter box (probably w/ a mini stereo adapter); the speakers will need to be powered (AC adapter or batteries) - If these are 'small' speakers requiring just a few batteries, I doubt that your will get much volume from them - just curious if you had your iPad w/ you when looking at those 900 MHz speakers, if so did you give them a try?

A good set of powered BT speakers (or even the soundbar that I mentioned in a previous post) would still be a good solution. Good luck and please post back before you buy? :)
  20. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I agree with Giradman. If you bought a Bluetooth speaker that wasn't loud enough, that just means you need to buy a louder one, lol.

I added this one to my two regular-size Jamboxes:

https://jawbone.com/speakers/bigjambox/overview

And if you need something even louder, there are others on the market, for more money.