What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad erased going thru airport security - twice!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I fly twice a month internationally. Never had any problems.

-t

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find this hard to believe, but I will back up my iPad next time I fly.
I've heard stories of airport scanners ruining photographic film, but never erasing digital data.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Given almost every person that that travels through airport security is carrying a mobile phone which is essentially the same technology, I think we would hear of this issue in the news all the time if it was possible - not just for iPads.
It may be a there in the device which the radiation from the xray machine has exacerbated - I'm no expert on this - but in general, these units should have no adverse impact on a healthy device.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been through all the London Airports, most other UK airports, many in the US, Europe, the Middle and Far East and never experienced any problems whatsoever.

Tim

leolaksi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I travel about every week to three continents including the same airports in England and have yet to encounter any problems. I am trying to make sense of the situation as explained by the OP (and another poster.) Can anyone explain how it could happen? And media being the same with many devices how this could have happened to the iPad and not laptops etc.

Ciao.

Leo.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad stores all its data on flash memory devices, where the binary information is held using electrical charge. Potentially, airport security - which uses X-Ray scanners - could result in the 'erasing' of this charge. The Compact Flash Association (the Industry body representing the majority of flash memory manufacturers) has carried out extensive research into this topic and has concluded that airport security scanners pose no threat whatsoever to flash memory devices. There are several 'Press Releases' and 'White Papers' on their web site that deal with this matter, if anyone is interested.

Typically laptops use mechanical hard disc drives where the binary information is held using magnetised material on the hard disc. These are not considered susceptible in the same way to X radiation.

Tim

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am in the semiconductor business. I asked one of our designers who said that x-rays will not damage or discharge static memory, however he did say that batteries can be impacted. He speculated that a battery shorted by an x-ray machine could, in theory, result in a spike that might cause something strange to happen to a cell phone or iPad.

He also stated the obvious, that this would be extremely rare...

-t

Myosotis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just came back from Hamburg - with no apps.

Hello out there.

I just flew back from Hamburg to Zurich yesterday and now there are any Apps on my iPad2 - only the pre-installed by Apple and my bookmarks. Luckily I had a backup made on wednesday - but game-stats (e.g. at angrybirds) are all deleted. Not a problem for me, since I am not really a gamer, but starting all over a again is not that fun at any game I guess.

At least all my bought and downloaded Zinio-magazines are back now thanks to the backup...

I am just wondering why this happened. Flying from Zurich to Hamburg I didn't have any problems...

If anyone could give me any tipps for preventing any loss I would be happy. I intend taking my iPad to holiday and that would be annoying hanging at the beach with no apps...

Thank you very much.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sorry and somewhat disconcerted to hear that Myosotis. I hope you were able to restore your other data.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's a concern and something I've read about elsewhere in the forums, it seems to be a hit and miss occurrence. I travel mainly domestic in the US and never had the issue but it does raise some concern. What could be going on?

Myosotis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I could restore everything. Thanks to my laziness I didn't work over the weekend and used my iPad only as iPod in the Hotel.
Just all the stuff saved in the deleted apps (as like latest searches, favorites, etc.) are gone. That's annoying but no big deal like lost fotos or textfiles.

So, if the problem is not occurring that often, I assume there aren't any tips?

Greetings from Zurich

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I could restore everything. Thanks to my laziness I didn't work over the weekend and used my iPad only as iPod in the Hotel.
Just all the stuff saved in the deleted apps (as like latest searches, favorites, etc.) are gone. That's annoying but no big deal like lost fotos or textfiles.

So, if the problem is not occurring that often, I assume there aren't any tips?

Greetings from Zurich

Completely turn off your iPad before you go through security. (As opposed to putting it to sleep.)

Most reactions

Latest posts