What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Envy & How to handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I think my friend has a huge case of iPad envy! I bought my iPad for use in school. She has talked about buying one ever since she saw mine, but whined about the price.

Then, our school had a tablet for sale in the bookstore. It's an eGlide something or other, using Android. It's a cheaper tab, and it's not the best. There are some nice tablets on the Android OS but this one needs some work. I think she realizes that she shouldn't have purchased it. She can't take notes with it like I can with my iPad and half the time, she can't get the unlock screen to work right.

So, ever since she bought her tablet, she's been really snippy when mine is talked about. Not many people in my program have an iPad and I get asked about it all the time. She gets really crabby when this happens. She also keeps making comments about how "Apple sucks" even though she's never owned an Apple product. Ever. And we happened to be watching TV together when the announcement about Jobs came on - which she was ecstatic about, even though it's not like Apple is going under or something.

At first, it was kinda funny. But now it's getting irritating. Whenever my iPad can't do something - like play flash - it's because it's a "piece of c**p". But you better pretend it didn't happen if her tablet can't do something! Now, I'm starting to get irritated. I paid $750 for my iPad and it is NOT a POS! It does pretty much everything I want it to - especially since I JB it. The lockscreen also works EVERY time. I'm just not sure how to deal with this. It's so childish and dumb, but she keeps doing it - in front of our classmates, no less - and I just wish she'd knock it off. We're grown-ups, we have kids, and we're nursing students. We should be more mature than this.

Have you ever dealt with iPad Envy before? Do you ignore it or say something? I just thought the whole thing was too funny and I had to share!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to handle:

Deal with it head on. Conversation like: I get that you don't like iPad and Apple, but I'm tired of the negativity. How about we move on?

Or hang out with someone else.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, it's a girl thing. Hang with the guys, we are more fun.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I think it's time to say something, but having said that, from what you have said, she may not take it all that well. You would know best on how she will react. I think you will be in for a rough ride no matter what you do though. For some, adulthood doesn't necessarily mean we grow as human beings, what a shame. I wish you well. Thanks for sharing though, a problem shared is a problem halved.

OP
china_cat84

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Just needed to vent! For now, I'll just blow her off...unless she says something REALLY outrageous lol. Believe me, I'd hang with "the guys" if I could, as I get a long much better with them, but there aren't really many guys available for carpooling in nursing school!

I just think it's completely ridiculous that an iPad (and jealousy) can get in the middle of a friendship. So stupid.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - 64gig iPad2 White WiFi

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that your friend secretly admires your good judgement and your iPad, but may not have the strength of character to admit it. She sounds like a real baby, maybe tell her to grow up. ;)

OP
china_cat84

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
info said:
I think that your friend secretly admires your good judgement, but may not have the strength of character to admit it. She sounds like a real baby. ;)

She kinda is. From her other behavior, I have learned that she's an attention seeker and probably has low self-esteem. Since people notice my tablet and not hers, she's irritated. Since hers doesn't work as well as mine, she's ticked off. Doesn't make it right to lash out, though. She LOVES to point out that my iPad doesn't work well with the school website (ANGEL/Blackboard based) or play flash stuff - though I doubt her eGlide whatever works any better with the website of flash...when she can work the lock screen that is, lol.

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
she probably needs your help in sorting out her gadget issues... other than that, since it seems you're stuck with her for the carpool duration, just grin and bear it (and give her that look, lol!)... you're the one who understands... and that "issue" will most likely die down...

Last edited:

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like she is just upset with her decision to go with the eGlide because she couldn't afford/justify the price of the iPad but really would prefer the iPad; hence the need to bash it any given chance to make her feel better about her decision. When she makes her negative comments I'd just say "the iPad isn't for everyone, good thing you got your Android". Kill them with kindness... it'll drive them crazy :D Also, try other browsers like Opera Mini, Terra and Skyfire and see if they will play the pages with Flash that Safari won't.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't had ipAd envy but I Got apple envy when I bought my mbp,you know how you want to tell everyone b,cos you love it,I was accused of bragging and told MacBooks are crap and he wouldn't have one given,jealousy is an awful thing,in the end you will say something.

OP
china_cat84

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried skyfire and it works okay for most flash but it still doesn't work well for my school's website.

I think I got her to realize that the iPad is better than her tablet - her tablet doesn't work with the school's website either, it has a crappy battery life, and she's always getting mad at the stupid thing. She told me today that she likes the iPad's touch screen better because it's more responsive...I said, "Yeah, I guess u get what you pay for!" lol. I just ignore her remarks and she doesn't make them as often anymore.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one I know has serious iPad envy.. my mom and dad might once I show it to them! :D My brother will probably get an Android tablet of some sort, and if he's jealous of my iPad in any way, he'd never let me know. He's an Apple hater.

OP
china_cat84

china_cat84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoPackGo said:
No one I know has serious iPad envy.. my mom and dad might once I show it to them! :D My brother will probably get an Android tablet of some sort, and if he's jealous of my iPad in any way, he'd never let me know. He's an Apple hater.

What's up with apple-haters? I think a lot of people are just jealous that they can't afford apple products or that apple portrays itself as an "elitist" company - their tv ads are kinda snooty lol. Just don't get it. My friend claims she hates apple but she wouldn't know the difference between apple and android if the droid itself came up and pinched her behind! So, really, she has no technologically based reason for not liking apple. I believe in "free platform love", if you will. Android has it's pros and cons and so does apple.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
china_cat84 said:
Ok, so I think my friend has a huge case of iPad envy! I bought my iPad for use in school. She has talked about buying one ever since she saw mine, but whined about the price.

Then, our school had a tablet for sale in the bookstore. It's an eGlide something or other, using Android. It's a cheaper tab, and it's not the best. There are some nice tablets on the Android OS but this one needs some work. I think she realizes that she shouldn't have purchased it. She can't take notes with it like I can with my iPad and half the time, she can't get the unlock screen to work right.

So, ever since she bought her tablet, she's been really snippy when mine is talked about. Not many people in my program have an iPad and I get asked about it all the time. She gets really crabby when this happens. She also keeps making comments about how "Apple sucks" even though she's never owned an Apple product. Ever. And we happened to be watching TV together when the announcement about Jobs came on - which she was ecstatic about, even though it's not like Apple is going under or something.

At first, it was kinda funny. But now it's getting irritating. Whenever my iPad can't do something - like play flash - it's because it's a "piece of c**p". But you better pretend it didn't happen if her tablet can't do something! Now, I'm starting to get irritated. I paid $750 for my iPad and it is NOT a POS! It does pretty much everything I want it to - especially since I JB it. The lockscreen also works EVERY time. I'm just not sure how to deal with this. It's so childish and dumb, but she keeps doing it - in front of our classmates, no less - and I just wish she'd knock it off. We're grown-ups, we have kids, and we're nursing students. We should be more mature than this.

Have you ever dealt with iPad Envy before? Do you ignore it or say something? I just thought the whole thing was too funny and I had to share!

Help her out, sell the eglide on eBay and go to the online Apple store and look up refurbished iPads. You can get a first Gen 16GB with 3G for about $400!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions