ipad email sync

Discussion in 'iPad FAQ' started by joefolio, Sep 14, 2010.

1. joefolio

joefolio iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I sync my ipad with my imac via mobileme and direct usb connection. Occasionally I want to remove several emails from my ipad (or iphone) but I want them to remain on my computer.

I'd appreciate any guidance you can provide.
  2. Moonchaser

Moonchaser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Usually, todays email clients are configured using the IMAP protocol. That basically means that your devices (iPad, iPhone, Mac, etc...) are configured as "readers" for your email that is physically located on the email server. This is considered the "better" way to do it so that any changes made by one device are instantly reflected on all the others.

To do what you are talking about, you would need to change your configuration to use the POP protocol. This is the "old" email way. The device connects to the server and actually downloads a copy of the email to itself (and usually deletes it from the server). This leaves you in a situation where some devices will have some emails and not others. In most cases this is not what people want (and is the main reason IMAP was developed).

If you really want to try this, then read up on how to configure all your devices POP access to MobileMe. That way each device gets its own "copy" of the email and you can delete what you want.

Personally, I strongly recommend against this. For one thing, it will take up a large amount of space on your devices (probably doesn't matter on your Mac, but it will on your iPhone/iPad). Also, you can get your devices "out of sync" and find your self going through all your devices to find "that email from Mom".
  3. Moonchaser

Moonchaser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    An alternate solution would be to create a new email account at gmail or yahoo and forward the emails you want to delete to the new account. Then delete them from mobileme. That way they are gone from your system, but you can still get to them if you need too.
  4. joefolio

joefolio iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you. I have a related question. I'm now thinking of giving my ipad to my wife. If I delete both of my email accounts from my ipad, (using "Settings") will the emails in those accounts still remain on the computer it was previously synced with?