What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad email settings

leftynomore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the most recent update I can't get my ipad to leave a copy of email messages on the server so I can download it later on my PC. It appears to be mainly a problem with my gmail account

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the most recent update I can't get my ipad to leave a copy of email messages on the server so I can download it later on my PC. It appears to be mainly a problem with my gmail account

Have a look in

'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Accounts', <- choose the gmail account ->, 'Advanced', 'Delete from Server' -> 'Never'

Hope this helps, but if the problem persists don't hesitate to get back to us.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not completely sure I'm getting where you are coming from, but I'll take a shot at an answer anyway.

Both the Exchange and IMAP setups for GMail will delete any mail off of the server if you delete it on the iPad. In essence, you are simply remote controlling the server. Deleted emails should go to the Trash folder on the server.

If you want an email out of your Inbox, but still on the server use the folder icon at the top to move the email to another folder. You can create special folders for this purpose in Google Mail's web client. Though for some reason Google calls them labels.

If I've totally failed to help you throw a few more details my way and I'll make another attempt.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

delete the account from ipad and setup gmail as an exchange account. do a google search for the steps in setting up gmail as exchange server.

the emails will be on both the server and ipad, once deleted they get deleted from both ipad and server.

Peterwwjd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know how I can create google email folders on my iPad2 without having to do this form my desktop. Google does not allow me tom do this via the internet using my ipad2. I am using imap for my gmail but can't organize and add email folders.

Thanks

Peter D.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know how I can create google email folders on my iPad2 without having to do this form my desktop. Google does not allow me tom do this via the internet using my ipad2. I am using imap for my gmail but can't organize and add email folders.

Thanks

Peter D.

It's not possible to create mail folders on your iPad. You absolutely have to do this on your email service provider's server. Then, if you're using the IMAP mail protocol (and not the older POP) that folder structure will be replicated on your iPad. There is no other way of doing it using the iPad's native Mail app, I'm afraid.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Thanks

Peter D.

You can do it from the iPad, though not using Calendar. Use Safari to visit your Google Calendar web page. If you get the mobile version go to the bottom of the page and choose Desktop.

Once you have the desktop version showing you can do anything you could from a desktop. Some of the links are small and difficult to tap, so remember you can pinch to zoom in on them at need.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts