What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad DVD player?

cwhowell2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anybody come up with an attachment to play DVD's on an iPad yet? Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi - just to clarify, do you want some type of cable to attach to your iPad Air (I'm assuming that is the model you own from the forum posted - if not, then please be more specific) that also attaches to a DVD device that will play your commercial DVDs on your iPad - correct? If so, not possible as far as I know - however, if you provide more specifics as to your wishes, then maybe other options can be offered. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad's Lighting port has no video input capability, so there is no simple adaptor/converter that will work with a standard DVD player.

I'm not saying it's impossible to use a DVD with an iPad, just that it would require some specilized hardware along with an app designed for that hardware. I haven't heard of anything along those lines, and with the industry moving more and more to streaming content I don't think it is likely anyone will bother to create the device/app combination needed.

On the other hand there are plenty of portable DVD players. Chances are that an iPad solution would cost as much or more, and be almost as bulky to carry around as the DVD player.

OP
cwhowell2

cwhowell2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have an iPad Air and a stack of DVD's. I just thought it would be more convenient to use the smaller format to watch movies instead of my 17" laptop. Hadn't thought about stand-alone DVD players and I see they can be had for as little as 60 bucks. So I think that's my solution.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. You're not the first to ask. It seems like an obviouls setup on the surface, but it's just not there.

Some people have gone to considerable trouble to get their DVD movies on the iPad, and succeded, but it requries ripping them to a digial format, setting up a server, and streaming them to the iPad. Doable, but probably more trouble than it is worth if you don't already love tinkering with computers and stuff. Or want your DVD collection on your iPad very very badly.

Most reactions

Latest posts