What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad droid tether??

raceman94

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just go to the Android market and search for it. That is the name it uses, but be warned, it does not help you with the iPad. I think the option is to root your phone...which I managed to do.

af2go

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Instructions on how to do do this

Hi Robert.

So I am wondering can you give me some direction on how to do this? Otherwise where I might find instructions? I have PDAnet on my Incredible. How do It to connect with my ipad wifi. The devices pair but I am unclear as to what to do next? Thanks. Allan

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Robert Basil Posted: You can use Pdanet and don't have to root Android or jailbreak your iPad. It works great with Android 2.2 and 2.1

I too tether my Droid X and Macbook but I haven't seen a software download for PdaNet for the iPad. Which download are you using that works with your iPad?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Robert.

So I am wondering can you give me some direction on how to do this? Otherwise where I might find instructions? I have PDAnet on my Incredible. How do It to connect with my ipad wifi. The devices pair but I am unclear as to what to do next? Thanks. Allan

It won't work with PDAnet as it's only a Bluetooth or USB connection. You need to WiFi to tether your iPad to your Droid.

You need to do a basic root of your droid, and install Wifi Tether or a similar application.

Here is some good info for rooting Droid X:

Motorola Droid X Root Guide Updated 5:10 PM Eastern - Android Forums

Dlh1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rooting is the way to go. I use wifi tethering on my rooted Eris with my Ipad and it works great. Just do a little research about rooting before you attempt it. It's easier then you might think.

anotherlab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use Pdanet and don't have to root Android or jailbreak your iPad. It works great with Android 2.2 and 2.1

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

Robert: Can you explain how you did this? Without jailbreaking the iPad and installing a custom BlueTooth stack (which introduces a new set of issues), there is no way that Pdanet will work with an iPad. Stock iOS supports headsets and keyboards over BT, that's pretty much it.

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay Robert. You've claimed and it appears it can't be supported. I tried again today to download PdaNet onto the iPad (like I have on my Macbook) and the message was that "this program will not run on an iPad". So if you can provide which PdaNet download -specifically- that would be great.

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Robert.

It won't work with PDAnet as it's only a Bluetooth or USB connection. You need to WiFi to tether your iPad to your Droid.

You need to do a basic root of your droid, and install Wifi Tether or a similar application.

Do you know if there is a Wifi tethering android app available that does NOT require root?

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Robert.

Do you know if there is a Wifi tethering android app available that does NOT require root?

PDANet doesn't require root, but I think you can only use it that way with bluetooth or some similar restriction.

Rooting a Droid phone is pretty simple, then you can download one of the many free WiFi tethering apps and two taps later your iPad is connected to the web. It's a great thing ;)

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rooting a Droid phone is pretty simple, then you can download one of the many free WiFi tethering apps and two taps later your iPad is connected to the web. It's a great thing ;)

Agreed... and this is my 2nd option... but I'd rather not root my Droid.

Post up if you know any wifi tethering apps that don't require root.

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't know of any, since non-carrier WiFi tethering requires root access on Android devices as far as I know. Essentially, if you're doing something your carrier doesn't want you to do, you'll need to root your device.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 on the rooted Droid x via Z4 root, root it, get tired of it(how could u) unroot it, delete it

Attachments

• snap20110308_005337.jpg
    snap20110308_005337.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 326

joey301

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad and droid tether

Wrong. Pdanet works just fine over Bluetooth Dial Up Networking (DUN). It does NOT require a USB connection. I use it on my wife's WiFi only iPad and my Droid Incredible (not rooted) all of the time. Please do your homework before you give out wrong answers.[/QUOTE]

How did you do this? My iPad will not connect via bluetooth to my Droid, the link just won't work?

Thx

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't know of any, since non-carrier WiFi tethering requires root access on Android devices as far as I know. Essentially, if you're doing something your carrier doesn't want you to do, you'll need to root your device.

The LG Optimus series can do WiFi tether without rooting. I do it with an Optimus V on Virgin Mobile. You can use the Quick Settings or Hotspot Widget apps to do it. I believe the Nexus One and Nexus S can also do it. Basically, any vanilla Android 2.2 (or higher) can do non-rooted tether. Most carriers block it but they don't block all phones. I also think the Palm Pixi can do it on Verizon, as a non-Android phone.

Most reactions

Latest posts